1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2000 1/2 ton 4X4

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joed, Dec 28, 2002.

1. joed

joed Member

This has probably been discussed but I am looking at acquiring a 2000 1/2 ton GM 4X4 pickup with either an extended cab/short box or reg. cab/long box. The truck would have the 4.8L engine on it. Is it possible to plow with this set up (light residential/commericial use)

Thanks

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry to be a bit short here, but this horse has been flogged to death. Look around you, I'll bet you see all sorts of small rigs plowing. Think about it, why COULDN'T you use a half ton?

This question comes up about once a month. The operator is far more of a factor than the model number on the truck.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes. What type of plow? You will probably be ok even with the extended cab. Usually the dealer can tell you if their plow is recommended for your truck.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To continue - Like Alan said, the operator is the big factor following having a frame and being a 4x4. In this case, though, you need to consider what effect the plow will have on your warranty. I would suspect none with a regular cab as long as you have a snow plow prep package. You could ask the dealer about putting a particular plow on the extended cab.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

No problem,just go with a light moddel if yo buy an excab.Most dealers will match the plow to your truck,also get a 7.5 fter not a 7ft.