1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a 2 wheel drive toyota tacoma

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by tackett, Dec 17, 2007.

1. tackett

tackett Junior Member

I have a dilemma. I am about to purchase a new Toyota Tacoma, 4 cyl., standard trans....the problem is - I would much prefer to get 2 wheel drive for the better gas mileage (and several thousand dollars cheaper) since I do a great deal of long distance driving...on the other hand I need to plow about 300' of rough gravel/rock driveway (no hills). The question is - is 4-wheel drive essential for plowing
  2. Jakkle5

Jakkle5 Member
    from Mass

:waving:Short and simple answer, yes. You need 4 wheel drive. Unless you can get a 1 mile running start
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

you can plow in 2wd but not with a taCOMA

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

is this some kind of joke??
  5. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

You could, but it wouldn't be very practical. I assume you can order the Tacoma with a rear locker? If you had a locked rear end, studded tires and weight you could probably get by if you didn't let any snow accumulate. I suppose chains would also work.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The only guys I know who can plow in 2wd effectively are running 3/4tons and up and have plenty of weight sitting in the bed. Good tires and being a good driver help also.

I have plowed a little bit in my 1/2ton in 2wd and I need a posi/locker and more ballast to be able to do it all the time. Or maybe I should take the wings off then try it.
  7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

i think the 4 cyl manual will get you great milaige no matter if it is 4 wheel or not. I wouldnt buy anything other than 4wd. If they still make a set of manual locking hubs for new toyotas buy a set of those and leave them in free (which is basically 2wd) until you want to do anything in 4wd. Leaving them in free is just like 2wd but you can lock in 4wd in a matter of seconds.
  8. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

If you drive long distances you will want a 4wd truck just to get around in the snow. My father-in-law has a 2wd S-10 and even w/snow tires and weight in the back he still has problems on the hills and on unplowed roads.

If you need to get a 2wd truck, you should be able to buy a beater 4x4 plow truck for less money than putting a new plow on the Tacoma.
  9. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

the 4wd tacoma will still get worse mileage than the 2wd if you have manual hubs and you leave them unlocked because of larger tires, heavier truck, there is actually more rolling resistance with the manual hubs than a simple 2wd setup, lower gear ratios, etc. etc.

anyway, i wouldnt plow with a 2wd tacoma unless i enjoyed yelling and swearing and wasting money on setting it up. you'll spend the difference in cost of trucks to make the 2wd capable of moving snow. front suspension will need beefing, rear end mods, better tires, lots of weight for the back etc. etc.
    i'd go 4wd
  10. hadley-plow-guy

hadley-plow-guy Member

I have a Chevy 1 ton V30 4WD Dump and I wouldn't plow anything unless I had 4WD. No matter how much weight was in the back. You need to carry too much speed with 2WD and risk getting severely stuck. With 4WD you can use the weight of your vehicle to push the snow. And you can increase or decrease the speed as needed. In 2WD tire chains are a must, but you risk them flying off and doing more damage. I agree going with a beater and forgetting the 2WD plow idea. Just my thoughts.
  11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

There is no way I would ever consider buying a 2WD truck unless it was for summer use only. You might not need 4WD all the time, but it is sure nice to have when you need it. I would never plow without it.