1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2 Wheel Drive F450 Dually??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTerrySGD, Nov 20, 2006.

1. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I am going to use my 2 Wheel drive F450 this winter with my 8' VBox salter in the back. I'm toying with the idea of throwing a plow on the front to add an extra piece to the arsenal. Does anyone plow with a 2 wheel drive dually and if so what are your experiences? I'm thinking that it will do fine with a full load of salt in the spreader, but what happens when the salter is empty?

My second questions is do the tires make a huge difference? I was looking at the tires we have on there now and they are summer highway ribbed tires on the front and not much better for traction on the rear. If i'm going to plow with this truck, is just getting a lot of weight in the back the key or should I also invest in new tires?

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Tires make all the difference in the world. I wouldn't leave highway tires on there, but I'm not sure what's out there for duallys. With that weight, you shouldn't have a problem, but I wouldn't stray too far from other trucks just in case they need to pull you out.
  3. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Agreed! All of my Commercial accounts are all in the same Industrial Park so my other two trucks, skidsteer and wheel loader won't be far away! :)

4. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont try with out the load. Tires make a big differance for sure. Get some tread on the back, front set doesn't matter realy. A/T's will make a world of differance. Dont get mud tires.:dizzy:
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We plowed with our 3500HD for 5 years without any problems. It would push snow better then we thought it would. We had an 8' V box with sides on it in the back. I would guess 6,000lbs of salt. For 1 year we used our 2003 3500 with a Fisher 9'6"V blade and again without any problems. The locations were all flat and very open. Most snowfalls under 6" but we had a couple that were 10" and still managed fine. We don't use them any longer because our salt trucks have full routes and they have no spare time for plowing.
  6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Excellent. You'll be all set. Just get the spreader back there and throw some tires on and you're good to go!
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

BF Goodrich makes a commercial Terrain TA in dually sizes with great snow traction as does Goodyear in their Workhorse Extragrip series.

Check out what the local tow truck guys run on their trucks too- they have to be able to go in the snow....
  8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

All F-450's Are Duallys But You Should Be Fine With The 2wd Like Everyone Said Just Try And Keep It Loaded And Get Some Good Tires. Stick To The Parking Lots And Long Open Roads.
  9. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Did it years ago with a 1 ton chevrolet. Plenty of weight and you should be fine.
  10. 02 F550

02 F550 Junior Member

my 550's are 4x4 and they are crapy in the snow. not saying they arent gonna move but compared to my single wheel truck they are not even close. i think its cuz the tires are so hard on them. i would seriously consider some tire chains. also i would put a tranny temp gauge in the truck. plowing loaded gets the tranny hot quick.
  11. BobC

BobC Senior Member

If you plowing with highway tread you will have problems. You neeed a traction tread on the rears