1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Clint S, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Looks like I cannot find a 2500hd in my price range that is not beat to heck or with some problems. I found 1 but the manifolds were a glob of rust and did not want to deal with that.
    I am now wondering if I can get away with a 1500. I will just be plowing my driveway and my sisters and maybe helping out the neighbors in a big storm, nothing commercial. I have a large, long driveway. What is the downside of a 1500 other than it is a smaller, lighter truck. I will get one with the snowplow prep package. Right now I plow with a short box f150 and it is working out fine. Will probably transfer that plow over or maybe get a fisher. It will not be my daily driver as I have a car, it will be for plowing, getting in wood and Hay on the farm and driving to work on the crappy days.
  2. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

you will be fine with a 1500. i plow with a 1500 crew cab silverado 2005. i have a 7'-6" pro plow on it and she handles it fine. you need timbrens in the front and crank the T bars. Don't forget to add some weight in the bed. this is my daily driving vehicle and it works out great. Just remember that it's a 1500 and not a 2500 so go easy when you plow. i plow 8 driveways and 1 commercial lot.
  3. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

I have a 2003 regular cab short box gmc with a 7.5' boss and i plow 30 residential drives and 2 subdivisions, so trust me, you will be fine. seems everyone thinks they need a 2500hd to plow a driveway, they are way wrong!! my dad also plows about the same amount of stuff with his ext. cab duramax, and its not anyfaster, if anything slower on the tight residential drives.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow with a 1500. Got a 7.6ft western unimount pro with wings (9.8ft), I plow almost everything with the wings on, even plowed our 12-14" storm with them on. So far I've put approx. 1500 miles on it this winter with the plow on and 245 miles in the last 2 days with the plow on. I added a nice trans cooler and a temp guage to keep things in check. Just take it easy, think ahead where your putting the snow or where you want to end up before you start pushing. Most 1/2 tons don't have the torque/power to stop and restart mid pass with a full blade because you changed your mind on where you were going to put the snow.

Just remember your driving a small block powered 1/2 ton, not a diesel powered 1ton. Take things a little slower and just be a bit easier on it then you probably need to be and things will be fine.
  5. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

just like he said, we have pretty much the same truck. i do all commercial but do a few resi's around my neighborhood and for friends. it does fine commercial and like mark said, just gotta take it a little easy and know what the truck can handle. as for resi's that thing will blow throw pretty much whatever you'll throw at it, just plan out what your gonna do with the snow before hand as not to stop mid way. my truck seems to have enough power, it just cant seem to get it to the ground when i do that sometimes. get a nice trans cooler and your good to go.
  6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Thanks guys, I live in Parish NY were we get 10 to 15 1 foot plus dumps a year and usually 3 or 4 of those are 20 plus inches. There are some weeks you plow 6 inches every night for a week. I plow with a 5 speed 95 f 150 short box right now and that works out ok, but when I borrow my dads HD it is so much easier pushing especially, the slush or freezing rain. I have a 250 foot driveway and I push the snow as far back into the yard as possibly usually another 250 so thats a 500 foot push (and alot of yardwork in the spring). I also have a 55horse 4x4 diesel tractor with a loader to push back the banks with. The other thing is that I cut alot of wood and we get in alot of hay in the summer as I live on a farm so I would be carrying some loads in it, but again the f150 handled it for all these years.

FLASHMAN Member

I have a '98 K1500 extended cab, running a 7.5' Curtis. I added front and rear Timbrens, and use about 450 pounds of concrete blocks in the back of the truck for ballast. works great...
  8. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

I plow comercial with a 1/2 ton and get along fine just beefed up the front end and add weight in the bed. Dont have one complaint.
  9. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

What kind of work did you do to the front end?
    Thanks again guys, I just may get a 1500
  10. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

just cranked up the t-bars. I'm going to put some timberens on next yeare hopefully
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you get a truck with plow prep and the heaviest front end rating you can get in a 1/2ton you can probably slap a boss 7.6ft v on there. Get some wings for the light fluffy stuff and you've got the perfect home owner setup.

If you are unhappy with the way the truck holds the weight in the front you can always get torsion bars from a 3/4 or 1 ton. Mine are code GH which I believe is 3/4ton. My rear springs are also off a 3/4ton. Mine holds the weight like a champ (no timbrens or other helpers) and plows great for a 1/2ton. I usually run out of power before traction if the snows packed, 3.73 gears, 285/75/r16 tires, and a 7500lb+ truck pulls the motor down pretty good if your trying to push 6+in of packed down snow. In the lighter fluffy stuff that's under say 6" I can run with the best of them.

If you don't mind not having the latest and greatest truck, look at the 96+ Chevy/GMC 1/2tons. I feel that they are some of the best 1/2tons built in "modern" times, sure they don't compare to an older chevy k10 with a warmed up 350, 5spd and locked axles, but for what they are they will certainly hold their own. If you can look for one with the RPO code F44 in the glove box. This is the heavy 1/2ton version, you get a much better rear axle and your suspension is a bit "stiffer" then a normal 1/2ton. In 88-98 you could also get a 2500 ld with 6 lug axles that's basically a beefed up 1/2ton. That might also suit your needs well. They have a 7200 gvwr so it puts you in a decent area and you get a slightly higher tow rating, but who follows that anyway? :D
  12. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I have been using a 88 Chev Silverado 1/2 ton short box with a 7 1/2 foot Western plow for 16 years and It works fine. It is nice to have a short box alot easier to manuvere around the tight streets, in and out of driveways. I do 90 driveways on my run and 5 commercial. I have a 2002 Gmc 2500 ext with a Fisher 7 1/2 as my back up truck. I find it too long for driveways at times.
  13. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I plow a mall with my half ton. You will be fine. I have timbrens for the front no cranking the torsion bars. handles snow better with weight in the bed I have the locking diff. and plow in 2 wheel drive unless we get 6"+. Don't try putting a 8-6 v plow on and you will be fine. horsepower and tires moves snow just fine
  14. Redsilv03

Redsilv03 Junior Member

IF your worried about how far the front sits and squats when equiped with a plow. This is for all of you 1500 snow plowers, a cheep easy way to lift front is put ford f-150 2002-2004 torsion keys in your truck. (Yes they fit) I did it to my truck and i got 3 inchs of lift and sence the control arms are at a different level they have increased wieght carring ability. you can easily run a 8 foot plow on it. chevy drivetrain is very stront minus the IFS. the 5.3 can handle quite a lot of load. so dont be discoutaged with using a chevy 1500, they are the strongest half ton out there.
  15. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Good info from all. I have a few leads on some 2500's if not I will go with a 1500. I may be able to afford a new 1500 vs a used 2500. I will go with a 7.5 meyer plow on a 1500 that is on my 95 f150 and I have a line on an 8 foot mm2 I can get for 10 cords of firewood. The guy had his truck reposessed and they left the plow.
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Watch your front cv angles though. If you crank to much with stock keys or ford keys your cv shafts will be at very steep angles which is not good for the joints and probably makes them break much easier.
  17. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I agree, I plowed 10 driveways with a 1500 crewcab chevy with a 7' 6" fisher for two winters and never had a problem. It gets a little tricky when you let too much of the wet stuff build up but other than that it was fine. I wouldnt do much more than that with it tho.

Good Luck.
  18. fitch

fitch Junior Member

You will be fine with a 1/2 ton, whether you use a 8ft set up or 7 1/2ft. I plowed with my 2005 crew cab silverado all yr last yr. I had 2 small commercial lots and 1 larger 40ish spots in a u shape, along with 19 residentials. we got a dumping real quick here one time, and it was the wet heavy crap. i think i used 4 wheel drive for the first time then in the commercial lots. i had 70,000 miles on my original tires too... so im pretty sure my turning problem had more to do with the bald tires vs the weight i was pushing ahead of me! My set up was a 7 1/2 ft, with no timbrens, or cranking up on the torsion bars. with the blade in the air my truck sagged 1". i did run with about 600lbs of salt at the start of my nite. i was lucky to have 50lbs left when i got home. so its a horse a piece... make sure you have a lil weight and if your not satisfied with the ride comfort, adjust the suspension! Good luck though whatever route you go!