1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a 1 ton dump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Sep 7, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

im considering buying a 2003 chevy k3500 with an 8' dump body.the reason is ive gotten into a lot of material hauling lately.does anyone plow with these?would it be too big for residential drives?i would like to add an 8' western ultramount plow.also duramax 6.6l or6.0 vortec gas engine?

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I never plowed with an one-ton dually pickup before, but I cannot image plowing it for residential. Most of us here would agree that it would be too difficult to do so. The reasons we say that is because the dually wheels will make your truck much wider, which would sucks in tight driveways. Also to cover the rear wheels, you would definitely have to go with 9' blade, nothing less than that. With the dump bed behind the cab, it is going to make it much more difficult backing up when doing residential plowing, especially at night. The truck would be much more suitable for commercial plowing, such as open parking lots, etc.

Try to do a search, like plowing with dually (truck). I am sure there are several threads that has been covered before and it is right in your hand to read it without having to wait for more of us to reply. And no, it won't hurt for more of us to reply, but you would have your questions answered sooner if you do a search.

As for engine, I probably would choose the Duramax because of the extra power to do the job hauling loads and pulling heavy trailers.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I think for larger longer driveways that setup would be ok ,but for small drives you will do better with a smaller truck.Spend the more money for the duramax, you will be happy with the diesel.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've used one as a backup for my driveway truck. I've managed to use it, but not as efficiently as the pickup with plow for driveways, they just aren't as maneuverable. Visibility is limited too, which adds to the disadvantages.

The drives around here average about 200', I wouldn't even attempt to use the dump on short narrow drives.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I plowed one winter in a 2wd 1979 F350 mason dump. It did well for commercial plowing, but when I got to the residential portion of my route, it quickly became a PITA. There wasnt much of a window in the bulkhead of the dump body, and darn thing was just so wide and clumsy it made it more difficult.

I'm sure that a good 4x4 dump with a larger window would be much better, but if you are strictly residential, I'd plow with something else. Jeeps usually make great driveway trucks!

6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I had to plow with one a few times last winter.It had a 9 foot western blade... some driveways it was alright but the smaller ones it was terrible.I think anything over a 8 foot plow is getting too big for driveways unless they are real big.Plus the dually rear wheels makes it more difficult to maneuver.If you go off a driveway just a little and the grounds not frozen you will have some nasty tire marks.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use a DRW 3500 diesel with a 9' blade for residentials. But the driveways are 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile long:D . Seriously, for the shorter drives and the parking areas, it's a pain if the sander is on and I can't see behind very well. In those, I prefer the pickup.

8. KL3

KL3 Junior Member

I just bought a similar truck. I have the same concerns as you do. I needed a truck this size for my landscape co. so I bought it knowing I am going to have to adjust. I already plan on dropping a couple of residential that I already had a hard time doing with a pick up. I will be able to do my lots quicker so I can now add to my route. In the long run I think (and hope) plowing with a 1 ton dump will be OK. I am getting used to the truck but backing up will be a little challenging. If I don't sell both of my old trucks I will have them to plow with. I will let you know after this winter my real opinion.:waving:

9. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

plowing with a dump

We had a 87 f350 2wheel drive back in 99 with a dump body i opened the rear pass thru in the dump body for more visabilty and we would pull the side boards off, it worked great for comerical jobs we also would load it down with stone crete for extra weight in the back. it did not get used for resi jobs just to cumbersome we decided after two seasons to sell it but the biggest reason we did was it had a 460 gaser that just ate us alive on fuel. i am kinda in the same boat again with this 03 service truck i will not need to use it for resi work and iam getting more and more use to the mirrors and visibity issues everyday what ever you decide maybe keeping one of the old trucks has a resi truck would make good sense.

regards fred

10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

My dad has a 2001 chevy 3500 with a 8ft dump bed. He runs a 8ft meyer plow on it. Its way to small. a 9ft is the way to go with a dually. The truck plows great when plowing roads and parking lots. Once we get to the drivways then its a real Pain in the neck to plow with. But the truck does get the smallest drivway done which is really small. pumpkin:

11. farmertim

farmertim Member

Plowing with dump body

If you go with a dump check into one with removable sides which will give you more visibility.
    As for the duals, it takes more room but you get use to it but 9' is the minumum you want for a blade or V plow.
    Anything else and you are right next to your windrow and any branches trees ect you are plowing next to.
    I have a one ton and after 2 years in the Northwoods on strictly narrow residental drives I have little bed left and will go to a flat bed probably this year instead of fixing the normal pickup bed again.
    PS I had a regular bed 3/4 ton before and the bed was in the same shape, but we have extremely tight drives up here, with beautiful leaning trees, till it snows anyway.

12. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Have you considered a dump trailer for hauling material instead of a dump truck? It would save you alot of money and you could also have a truck that would be good in driveway situations. Otherwise go with a 9 footer on the 3500. As for motor the Duramax is a good motor if you want to pay for it payup

13. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with snowjoker's idea. I think that a dump trailer would be a great idea if you are going to making some hauling occusionally. There are several reasons why I think that dump trailer would be the way to go than a dump tuck. With a dump trailer, you can haul much more loads at once. Most dual axle dump trailers that is suitable for one ton truck would comes with GVWR ranging from 7,000# through 12,000#. That is alot more load than one ton dump truck can handle by itself. Also it usually is cheaper to buy a dump trailer (I would image). So with a truck without a dump behind the cab, the truck will look nicer and have less weight on it when driving which would reduce wear and tear, and also more importantly, reduce in fuel consuming. You also would have no blocked rear vision which will really help when plowing at night and backing up. You perhap could be able to stay with SRW instead of DRW which would really help when plowing residential. Also there are siginificantly less chance of getting the truck scratched or dented when dealing with loads like dump trucks.

A few disadvantages I would think of would be that you would have to pay for registration and probably extra insurance premium to cover for the trailer. Maybe it actually would be cheaper that way because I thought I read somewhere on website that the insurnace premium are much higher on dump trucks than regular pickup. So you may want to check into that too.

With the dump trailer, it is not always easy when backing up because most of them dont have 4' or 5' drop gate which would help guide you, like landscape trailers. Also there would be a small increase in fuel consuming, but if you are hauling heavy loads, it actually may save you in fuel and time because you would be making less trip. BUT if you think you would be frequently be using the dump, then perhaps the dump truck would be only your opinion. I mean if you would be using the dump everyday, then it would make more sense to go that way.

It all depends on what type of business you are using, the purpose for it, and how much you would be using it. Good luck with your decision.

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

This trailer debate is currently in process on Lawnsite. I couldn't use the trailer in my operation, I often need to place my materials off pavement. If the jobsite is the least bit slippery, you're never going to place a loaded trailer with and empty pickup without either getting stuck or not reaching your destination.

15. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

RESIDENTUAL?

After reading this thread and others like it. When you guys talk about residential you are referring to driveways and not subdivisions. I been getting confused on what you are talking about. I think of subdivisions as residential too. I guess I should consider them commercial? Ray

16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Most often residential means driveways here. A subdivision would be municipal if you are referring to public streets. A privately owned community would be considered a commercial account in my mind.

17. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

all right,so if i dont get a dump,im going to get a truck craft dump insert for my 1995 chevy k2500.i also want to dump the 8ft diamond plow for a new western ultramount 8ft pro.the bulkhead can be unbolted for easier visibility.i work as a service tech at a ford dealer and installed a dump insert last week-it looked pretty solid.any thoughts?

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's an older style (pre-meyers) Diamond,I'd keep it.Those things are well built,and last forever if taken care of.