1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1BadHawk, Nov 22, 2004.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk Member

Whats your thoughts on plowing with a Ram1500 or any other 1/2ton truck?

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

A 1/2 ton Ram or Chevy (IFS or solid axle) or older Ford with a solid front axle will work just fine as long as you do not get crazy on plow size or weight

3. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Personally on a half ton truck i wouldn't mount anything but a meyer simply because of how light they are. I think 1/2 ton trucks arn't heavy duty enough for a lot of plowing, but that is my opinion.

4. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk Member

Looking to use a 7 1/2' meyers plow.

5. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

This topic has been discussed alot here. Take a look at this thread from a few weeks ago for some helpful information: THREAD

6. Tarkus

Depends on the truck because most 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck with solid front axles in the past have used the same basic front axle with just 6 lug or 8 lug hubs. Dodge uses a fairly stiff frame in 1/2 tons so I do not see a issue as long a plow weight is keep reasonable. GM trucks 73 thru 87 used the same frame in 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks and same 10 bolt front axle with different hubs and some even had same HD springs too durring those years. Up until 99 GM even offered a snow prep paakage for classic style 1/2 tons. It is the truck brand/type/year that determines its fittnes for this, not its label and plow selection is a big factor here too. It is a case by case thing mostly with 1/2 ton trucks.

7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

A 1/2 ton truck can plow with no problems. Also you can put more than just a Meyer on one. One of my trucks is a 1995 Ford 150 and has a 7.5 Western Ultra Mount with a Fisher spreader. She works great. Most of my employees love plowing our small subdivisions with it because they say it turns great.
    I Blackhawk If your gonna get a new plow follow the advice that I saw someone give you before check with S&S Performance in MD. I get my Westerns from them.

DCP01647.jpg

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i have a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 that i have been plowing with since the day i bought it. one thing for sure that you would wanna do is install a external tranny cooler. by the i have a 7.5 meyer max poly plow

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

A Meyer? There are much better lightweight plows then meyer. Fisher LD series, Blizzard LT series, Western LSX, Snoway, etc. All are much better then meyer, if you are buying new don't get a meyer. Just my opinion.

As far as 1/2 tons, they are heavy duty enough for alot of plowing. I have a *750 LB* 7'5" Curtis on my ext cab F-150, and it has no problem with the weight at all, even before the timbrens it barely dropped, now it does not sag at all. I have plowed plenty with it too, it has never given me one problem.

To answer the question, i would get a Fisher RD 7'6" for most 1/2 tons, they carry them fine.

10. Tarkus

If I went the fisher though I would go for the RD plow not the LD one I think.

11. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I plow w/ a 1/2 ton 02 150 ext. cab and I run a Fisher 7'6" RD mm and I've never had a problem handles that nice fisher just fine.

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

This is not meant to start anything because we run a 1/2 ton and a 1 ton. Last storm on Nov. 19th we got over 2 feet of heavy wet snow on top of warm pavement, which made the pavement very greasy. Highway plows were not keeping up and getting the roads done fast enough. Even they were bogging down in spots. The 1/2 ton would push it about 20 feet, bog down and swing the rear side ways. You could only push about 10 feet to the side and then the other side. You could not get any sustained forward push. Everybody could not get anywhere with their 1/2 tons. Our 1 ton dually (454) with the Blizzard 810 worked through the storm non stop. I have now seen first hand the difference. I will not send the 1/2 ton out again in conditions like that. Big storms require big equipment. Repeat, This is for information purposes and am not knocking 1/2 tons because we run one too. :)

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree 100%, a 1/2 ton is not going to push that much snow as easy as a 1 ton :nono: It would be a waste of time to try to do it on a regular basis.

I have managed to get 27" of wet heavy snow off one driveway with my truck. I did not want to, but did anyways (long story). How did I do it? Keep taking small bites at the snow, sheer off the top layer for 5-10' then repeat, back drag off the top, then push up, hit it at angles so you only push for a few feet and cut in like that. Not exactly an efficent use of time in a big storm. I have plowed in a couple 2 footers, but most of the time with the storm, like every 4-8 inches.

14. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I second that motion cja granted my 1/2 ton is'nt a tank by almeans but its pushed some heavy snow, if I'm getting hammered with a blizzard I plow like you said withe the storm saves the truck the plow and your own nerves who in their right mind waits till there 2' of snow on the ground then decides it's time I should go out and plow :rolleyes:

15. davink

davink Member

I don't think that you will have any problem with a 1/2 ton.

I used to plow with a 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 with a Meyer ST 7.5'.
    I did put timbrems in the front end though, I found that if you hit a bump too hard while driving then you would bottom the mount. The timbrens fixed it great though, and had no problem.

Unless you are looking to be ble to do major parking lot plowing, I think that you would be very happy. If it is a Quad cab though, I would think about the timbrens, for an extra couple of bucks they make the ride much better on bumpy roads. Just my two cents though. Good luck with it!

16. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

First of all, if you are plowing two feet of snow in one shot , well, good luck with anything. Having run two half ton GM trucks commercially in the past four or so years, one even being an extra cab, I have had very few problems. In fact, In the same time span I've had two late model one tons and although the pushing ability was greater, the extra manuverability and visibility of the half tons was a greater asset in my opinion , not to mention trans. overheating problems in the one tons, but after all, they were fords, so what can you expect. Ha, ha.Also, if you plan on plowing commercially, or anything more than your own drive, don't get a light duty or "personal" plow. They are exactly what they aare called, light duty. Probably shouldn't even mention this but when my smaller plow quit last year, I ran a 9' heavy duty on one of my half tons for a few storms till I got the other one fixed.Anything in moderation,right?

17. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

First of all I am in my right mind. Here in snow country when it comes down so fast per hour the plow with the storm idea quickly goes out the window. When the roads are not being kept clear and your half ton can't get in the street to start your account then it's time for the big rig. Oh what the heck, those who have been in the big storms and done the big ones know what I'm talking about. Right.

18. Tarkus

If the 1 ton trucks have poor visabilty and manuverabilty it is because of cab design and wheel base, not because they are one tons as a 1 ton std cab pickup w SRW will turn just as sharp as a 1/2 ton std cab P/U. It can just weight a lot more doing it if you want it to and push more because of it.

19. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have two 1/2 tons I plow with the one a 97 GMC never had a problem (reg cab 5.8) the other 99 Chevy (ext cab 5.3) is O.K. will be buying all 3/4 tons from now on.

20. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

You make a valid point, I should have pointed out that my one tons were (and currently are) equipped with a full dump body and a two yard sander sitting in it.Backing up is a mirror only deal. Thats fine too,but, sometimes it is nice to be able to turn your head around and double check the situation.