1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing With a '03 2500 Hemi

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jvwfd51, Jan 28, 2004.

1. jvwfd51

jvwfd51 Junior Member

How has the luck been with plowing with a 03' ram 2500. Have they been holding up well. Is there alot of common problems to expect that could be major. I plan on keeping the truck for a while, I would hate to destroy the truck plowing a couple of small lots. Also what is the best plow for the money and weight on the truck.
  2. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Have been plowing with '03 2500 hemi auto 2door for 13 months.
    Great ride, lots of power, torque etc. Is yours std. or club cab? What rear end, 373 or 410? 410 is probably better for plowing, more low end torque. I went with 373 for better gas mileage. I had to buy my truck in a pinch so it already had a fisher MM2 8' on it. I'm a carpenter and do a lot of hauling. The paint/body is full of scratches & dings from plowing already. Doesn't get me down, I bought the truck for hard work not to impress others.:)
  3. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Almost forgot; No problems whatsoever with truck. Nothing needed to be fixed or adjusted so far. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on what equipment is best. Search the site as those are daily discussions. Tell us more on what you intend to plow, how much and how often. One piece of equipment I bought was my Warn Multi-Mount 9500 winch. It fits in my towing receiver. I've been hung-up one too many times and waiting for a tow means $$$ lost in fees, lost clients and insomnia. My truck "squats" when I lift plow but I usually haul between 1-1 1/2 ton sand/salt. That results in the back and front end being equally "squat". No bottoming out so no need for Timbrens. One thing I havn't seen discussed here is tire pressure. I always pump up my tires to 80 Psi rear and 70-80 Psi front to accommodate weight. You probably wouldn't go that high for just a plow. Normal Psi is located on driver's door jamb.
  4. jvwfd51

jvwfd51 Junior Member

Hey thanks. I have an extended cab. I would only be looking to do mabey a couple of accounts, parking lots most likely. Not going to be doing alot of heavy plowing.
  5. jj112

jj112 Junior Member

I have an 03 2500 HEMI quad cab Sport Laramie SLT with 8 foot bed. I use a Meyers 8 foot plow. I love this truck. I do mostly commercial office complexes and restaurants so I have room to manuver. I have plowed 5 storms so far this year and had zero problems. Make sure you get everything heavy duty, such as snow plow prep and trailer towing prep when you order your truck. The front end squats a couple inches when I raise the plow, but I'm going to put Timbrens on the front to see if it helps. Good luck with your truck

6. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Ive plowed with mine at least 10 times this season, with 0 problems. I've got the cummins with the 4:10 rear end.. Between plowing, and hauling bobcats around all week, the trucks been great, I can barely even tell that Im pulling a cat. Don't add timberens though, I put a set on mine and it made it ride alot rougher without the plow, the truck only sags about 2 inches with my 7.5 western pro. It just hit the 20,000 mile mark last week, and no problems to report. I think dodge finally got there a** in gear, they already beat Chevy in sales this year, and catching up to Ford quickly!