1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a 03-07 diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dieselpusher, Sep 15, 2009.

1. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

how are the dodges to plow with

do they hold up well

the trans

any weak links

the thing is im looking for a new diesel but i do commercial plowing

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

The only issues and they are not really plow related. The Ball Joints are weak from Factory and will need to be replaced around 60k. The U joints in the hub also really suck. I have to do my other side now. One side lasted 25k This side maybe 28k. They were done under warranty. Now they are out I can put decent ones in. As for pushing snow. Dodge is by the far the best at plowing. But a few things can ome into play to hurt it. What type of tires? Bg over sized off road tires hurt a bit. You have to plow in 4x4 all the time with those on. If you are getting a dually. They can usually plow in 2wd with out an issue. Now an early 03 in SO package will have a 47re and thats the old tranny. So get a H.O and you get the 48re. But yeah they are great trucks to have with a Cummings

3. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

I have an 04 Dodge with the cummins and it plows very nice. I have a set of oversized tires that i take off and put a set of stock size rims and snow tires on and the truck is a tank. Even with the 48re trannys you still need to be careful they are better then the 47 series but not much better. A good investment would be a good transmission gauge for the truck just to keep an eye on it while plowing. They do have a huge trans cooler in in so that already covered.

As far as ball joints go the stock ball joints are made to have play in them so if you lift the front end up the tire will wiggle up and down a little bit and that is fine up to an extent. they are allowed to have up to 50 thousandths play in them.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention that I plow municiply with my truck i take care of 13 miles of road every storm, the entire storm. once i get called out i am out till it stops snowing even if that means a 2 hour dumping or an 18 hour one. I usually have about 800 pounds of ballast in the back and i still burn only about a gallon of fuel an hour. it sips the fuel compared to a gasser.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I love plowing with mine..except for the 6 speed. That get's tiring, but the truck has no clue it's even working.

5. BigDave12768

so you put another tranny cooler on it? Is your truck an 04 or the 04.5. My truck has such a large tranny cooler up front I dont see the need for another one. I also plow witht he storm. So I never really get into heavy pushes to till the end when I am cleaning up areas and digging out the dumpster( its small and is in a terrible spot. But it rolls. So I pull it out and clean around it.) 800 pounds of Ballast? What size plow?. Do you use 800 pounds so you can plow in 2wd mostly?

6. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

No i didnt't put another tranny cooler in it, the stock one is all i use, but they are very large for that kind of pickup truck. I have an 8 foot boss plow with a set of wings to make it 10 feet. i put 800 pounds out back to level the truck off and make it ride like a caddy. I dont usually use 4wd untill i get to the culdisacks on my route and then while i open them up and stack the snow i can push that much snow just that much higher and farther back.

my truck is an 04 standard out put from the facotry (that doesnt mean i havent done anything to it).....i had it put on a dyno in june and i put 334hp and 620 tq to the wheels with only a tuner, air intake, and exhaust. not to bad

7. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

I plowed commercially for years with my truck. The guy I worked for lost his big contract now I plow for a company with their f250 gasser nothing like my truck but I get paid by the hour. Like said b4 put some weight in the back and go plow mountains of snow. I have a deep pan and tranny gauge but have never seen to high of temps. I have replaced all of my ujoints with greasables

8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i love 07 plows great, i do alot of steep residential driveways and never have any problems even when pushing a foot of snow. i run about 800 lbs right over the rear end plus i have a deep transmssion pan and gauge but my temps are really cool, even towing a 10,000 lb trailer my temps never get above 180 and that going up some steep hills in the summer :D

9. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

Can you tell which are the HO and SO visually? badging..etc..

Or is it by vin...

I thought the 48re was the trans they started in 06...Im curious becuase Im in the market for a ram of that yearage...(02-07) ...Thanks in advace for reply/

10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

look on the valve cover on the motor (drivers side) the so is 245 hp and the ho is 305 hp .the 48re is on the ho's in 03 and everything else after that till 07. the 02's have the vp injection system which is 235 hp 47re (auto) and 245 hp 505 tq with the six speed. both styles are good trucks but i would recoomend the 3rd gens with the 48re

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  11. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

Thanks for the info, I like the newer style headlights 02 n up. I dont want to buy one and have to upgrade to a 48re later, Im tryin to set up a truck...

want a diesel, but low funds might have me buy a hemi 2500...Do you know how to tell on the hemis what trans' they have, or are they all the same...

12. BigDave12768

Ok 02's are just new body in the 1500's not the Heavy Dutys. So 2500 and 3500 are old body. So we are really talking just 03-07. In 03 if the vin was a 6 it was an S. O 245hp and could have the 47RE if built early enough. The H.O was 305hp and all came with 48re and a C in the 8th place of vin. Now in 04 all the trucks built before 1-1-04 had a 6 in the vin and Could either be a 245 or a 305hp and had 6 in the 8th digit. So like others stated you have to look at Valve cover. After 1-1-04 all trucks were built with the 325hp motor refered to as 600 series and a 04.5. And had the C in the 8th digit and all had the 48re. There wasnt a tranny change til 07.5 And I think its called a 68RE now and thats the Dodge 6 speed tranny not the Aisin that comes in the 3500 CC and up. But still a tough tranny. Now I personally have driven all 3. That S.o motor is a champ when it comes to fuel mileage and will do 20+ fairly easy empty. My buddy has the 03 with a 47re. Zero balls on the highway though. Its got some nice low end power though. But if you like to pass and do 80mph. Not the truck I would recomend. But almost all controllers can fix that issue real easy. I test drove a couple 04's with the 305 but they had 3.73 rear end. The had some nice power but I never really got to play with them on the highway. But they felt like a diesel truck on take off. Also these trucks do well when it comes to MPG and I would assume do ok on highway. And ofcourse a comtroller can turn them u. Then I test drove the truck I own now. An 04.5 325 hp and a set 4.10 gears. Just so you know there is a bit more power mods to the 325hp truck than just being turned up. I personally didnt do enough homework when I went looking. I just wanted a Dodge with the 305hp motor or better. And ofcourse the money was an issue. But the 04.5 trucks come with a larger turbo and will put out more boost and also come with a 4in exhaust.(03-04 3.5) they also have a third injection unit. So they pump out a lil more fuel and are a bit quieter. Now with just those 2 mods mentioned. These trucks are not the best when it comes to fuel mpg. Yeah if you lite footed you can get decent mpg. But these tucks take off when you get into them. When I pulled out of Car lot for test drive. I thought something must have beeen serious wrong with the other ones. Only a black 04 dually I test drove wich must have had 4.10 felt like it could compare to the feeling of power. The salesman was a bit of an idiot at first. He told me just to bring it down street and bring it back. He was sitting beside me. Well that didnt happen 45 mins later we got back to shop. If you are test driving from a dealer. Or anyone. get it on the highway and see how it feels. I now run a Smarty jr on my truck and this truck is intense. A Hemi half ton cant pass me till 105mph. Thats when I run out of gears. Like I said all can be turned up. But the 04.5+ are the easiest to get to 500hp with.

13. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

awsome, thanks dave. I just pasted that paragraph on my desktop. Im on the hunt and it will help.

14. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

I just purchased a 04 cummins from a auction in Iowa. I was wondering if you can tell me if i have the HO motor and 48re trans....

The vin they gave me was 3D7KU28C34G######....

I re-read your post and noticed I have the "c" in the 8th digit and no 6 in the vin (fist half).....

I was wondering if you could decode. this for me, Thank you dave...

Im really excited to get to driver her.

15. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

look at the drivers side of the valve cover it will give you the horsepower rating. if its the 325hp you definitely have the 48re i forget which # in the vin is the tranny code

16. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

I had a 04 and I still have a 04.5. I plowed with both, the only problems I had was injectors on the 04.5. Plus the ball joints and u joints, but that is typical of a dodge. They are both 6 speeds, that sucks a little but you get use to it. I put 2 extra springs on both sides, that helped with the sagging.

17. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have an 03 ram 3500 that I purchased on March of 03. Its a SO Cummins but has the 48RE Tranny. I was told that they switched to the 48RE half way through the 2003 model year.

18. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

Cant really contribute an answer but all this talk of plowing with a Dodge has me all hot n bothered! I cant wait to try my baby out when the snow flys. 08 2500 with the 6.7 350 hp and 650 ft. lbs. of torque. I've always pushed wth gas trucks and enjoy that quite bit already...and they cant compair to the low end grunt.