1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with '95 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jun 7, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Yes, it's me again. I am getting so confused. I have been told that the Tahoe is not enough truck for plowing and to stay away from it (for plowing). I've seen people plow with Explorers, S-10s, Jeeps etc. which are a lot smaller than the Tahoe, so I'm confused when people say the Tahoe isn't enough truck.

I realize the Tahoe is not the ideal plow truck but I am just starting out, the Tahoe is paid for, and I really don't like the idea of spending 25-30 grand on a nice 3/4 ton pick-up when starting a small business. Does anyone here use the Tahoe/Yukon for plowing? I just need something to get started doing a few driveways and see how the business goes. If the business progresses well and I get more/larger accounts, then I can look into a heavier duty truck.

Anyways, thanks again for any advice,

Joel B.

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Joel, we have quite a few customers plowing with Tahoe's. And the only complaint that "I" know of is the dark tinted side windows, which makes it hard to see when backing in a drive at night. We set them up with a "standard snowplow", along with a few turns of the torsion bars and a set of Timbren Load Boosters and a heavy duty transmission cooler. Most even run Daniels Pull Plows on the rear with "no" troubles what so ever.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well you can plow with a tahoe that is basicaly a new syle blazer (old full size) with there are many out there with plows still on them.The only thing is the beatting that trucks take when plwing like for example hidden curbs, manholes ,water gates ,etc.If yo can aford to have this truck down for reapirs when needed then i would say do it but you would be better to find a cheap old truck with a plow on it and start that way.Ask any one in the biz. they will tell you that even new trucks go down.So just be aware that this could happen to your new Tahoe even just doing drive ways.

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Joel,

Your Tahoe should be able to handle the snowplow for small uses. No, I do not own or know anything much about Tahoe but I know that plow manufacturers do allow them to have plow on it (7.5' Regular Duty). Try to find a few accounts that have smooth and flat driveway, especially paved driveways. Don't get an account that have alot of potholes and/or obstacles that your plow would be running over. If you could find a few paved driveways to plow, then your Tahoe should be fine. If you are plowing gravel driveway, try to raise the plow just above the ground but that would be hard to do. But that is not all. You should try to plow every few inches of snow during the storm, rather than plowing a foot of snow after the storm. Doing that will put alot of stress on your vehicle. Your vehicle is not designed for commercial plowing, but it can be used for small residential plowing. I think that as long as you take it easy on your Tahoe, it should be fine, for small uses.

Another thing, how do you suppose you could pay for the plow by plowing only a few driveways? A new plow would run for around $3500-$4000. If for example you plow two accounts that pays $30 for each plowing, and you have 15 plowable events, that would gross out to around $900 in a season. It would take you 4 to 5 years to pay for it then be able to make a profit. Just want to let you know before you decide.

5. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Joel, your Tahoe is fine for plowing. Sno-Way offers three different size plows that can be put on your 95' Tahoe, if you want to find a dealer near you, you can e-mail me at BHOLL35301@aol.com or call our factory direct at 1-800-662-1453. We have no problem with putting a plow on this vehicle because of the way our plows are made. I can elaborate more off the board if you like.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not to knock sno-way but keep in mind that there are many manufacturers of plows that make models to fit your vehicle. I would suggest going with a brand that will be easy to have serviced (locally). Buying a used plow is also a possibility. I have bought used plows with much success. Just carefully inspect for wear and abuse.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

JOEL< I had a 94 Yukon 2 door that I plowed with
    for 3 tuff NY winters ! I had a 7 1/2 western hard mount
    on it ! That thing would turn on a Dime !
    Good Luck and welcome to plowsite !..........Geo

HEY CT !!!! Hows that new Boy of yours doing ?
    Get him walking so by Oct. so he can come to the BBQ
    and see the BIG BOYZ TOYS !!!!!!!

HEY 75v..ROB....Got that Harley together yet ?
    My Triumph is running fine ! The 12 yo wants to
    ride mine. But hes a bit too short yet and besides
    MOMMY sez NO WAY!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2002
  8. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

Joel, i have a 95 tahoe and have plowed for 3 yrs w/ it and its great. if you want to see it look under stuff for sale. my 1995 tahoe for sale and you can see what it would look like. GOOD LUCK IF YOU DO PLOW W/ IT YOU WILL LOVE IT purplebou

9. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

I know a guy with a plow on a short yukon gt and he hauls some azz.