1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 66-77 bronco

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rocknrollrednec, Mar 4, 2009.

1. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

hey guys, any of you out there plow with one of these? I have a 74, and I keep thinkin about putting a plow on it. I know it'd do really well, and I could really use it as a spare if and when my regular plow truck breaks down.:rolleyes: I think if I do it, I'd probably fabricate a mount to use a meyer.
    just curious!
  2. F-350BOB

F-350BOB Junior Member

That would make a awsome drive way truck. There used to be loads of eb with plows on them but since they became collectors items not many people use them for plowing. I'm sure with easy fab work you can mount almost any plow on it.. Good Luck
  3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I think that would work great as a backup and driveway truck.
  4. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

No doubt that it would work great, but with the current collector value of these vehicles, it would be silly to use it in the snow and salt when there are other choices.

They aren't building these anymore, so the ones that are left are all there are... I'd suspect that you could sell it for decent $$$ and set up almost any other sort of plow rig that turns you on.

Save this one for the fun stuff and work some other generic truck to death!

For similar size and capacity, try a Ford Explorer. You'd probably have to modify a plow rig for it, but they are similar in size, weight, and power. They can handle a lot. Only drawback might be the transmission, but with a decent cooler even that will work.

They can be built to take it... Here's one that I used for off-road duty:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  5. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I figured I could use, since I already have it, and I know it's tough. the roads I plow don't have any kind of de-icer on them either, so I'm not too worried about that. I know it's a collector...but I will never ever sell it! and it's kind of a beater already anyways. it's solid, but I drive it like I stole it.
    here's a pic, with it's winter tires on

6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I remember them when I was a kid they nosedived real bad with plows on.

XXL 4RUNNER Member

My 4 runner just took a crap and i picked up a 74 bronco seems like it will be a great plow truck theres video on you tube of some of them plowing and they are pushing major snow for small trucks check em out. Hey did you start fabricating your mount yet? I have to retro fit a meyer classic mount on mine and i'm having issues finding a good place to mount the thrust arms. Just curious to see where and how you were gonna do yours, pics woud be nice too :)
  8. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

air shocks on the front really helps hold the plow up. our 77 has had a plow on it since winter of '82 still plowing strong. the weakest part, is the C-4 tranny. we've used a couple over the years.

we've got an old school fisher 6'6" on our bronco.. and it'll plow circles around most trucks. good power and decient weight. 302, C4, d44 front, 9" rear hard to kill 'em.

though high school i did around 10-12 drives with it, including our buisiness. over the years she's pushed some serious snow
  9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Bull, lets see some pics of the ol' girl