1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with 4.8L engine.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Workaholic, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

Looking for advice from guys plowing with 99-Current 4.8liter vortec powered trucks.

I have a 7 foot poly plow sitting here and I wouldnt mind mating it with a half ton chevy.

Strong enough?
    Over heat at all?
    Tranny hold up?
    Frame hold up?

I know it has alot to do with whos driving as well.
  2. larboc

larboc Member

Should be more than fine.
    The 4.8 is good motor, you never/rarely/shouldn't go WOT while plowing no matter what motor you've got.
  3. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

My buddy had a 99 with a 4.8. He did some towing, never a plow on it though. IMO i see no benefit to a 4.8. Mileage isn't much better than the 5.3 and it seemed relatively gutless when he towed stuff. I'm talking a 3k trailer and the rpms would be pretty high. A 4.8 will work, what do you plan on plowing, just drives small lots? Should have no problem with a 7 foot blade. I'd go for a 5.3 though, much better engine IMO.
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Well, I haven't been able to plow with it yet, My Yukon has a 4.8 and honestly when I bought it I thought it was a 5.3. It wasn't until I got home with it and looked closely at the engine ID sticker on the air filter box that i realized its a 4.8. I towed our 24ft travel trailer with it this summer and it did fine. I cant see any reason it wont push snow this winter, I have a 7'6" snoway on it. Seems to have plenty of power

If you already have a 4.8, a used 5.3 with about 150k on it in my area is around $350 and they are plentiful. Just need a computer flash to make it run correctly. Also, If your going to swap, consider a 6.0
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. larboc

larboc Member

6. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Some other replies hit the nail on the head, it all depends on what you are planning on doing. If you are just doing a little bit of plowing here and there, then any half ton combination is fine. If you want to do serious commercial work, then you should get something that is heavier duty. People put plows on all sorts of light trucks/suv's and do their driveways and some other light work without any problem. They probably wouldn't hold up well if you use them hard for 10 hours at a time though.
  7. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

I have a 4.8 in my 2010 gmc sierra 1500 plows great more than enough power.
  8. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I've never had a problem with it not having enough power to push the snow! Make sure you plow in tow/haul mode, it's better for the tranny.
  9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

10. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Good adviceThumbs Up
  11. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

It's just fine for pushing snow. If you need more power, use low range.

I'd look at some wings for the blade though, 7 foot is a little narrow for a full size truck. You won't be able to angle the blade without driving over snow.
  12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

...just don't admit to using 4LO on this site. I can't find the thread now, but people really dislike it. The only legitimate complaint I saw in that thread was that it takes a few extra seconds to get in and out of it, which add up if you're doing lots of driveways.

Besides power and fine throttle control, it's good for the transmission - even better than merely using Tow/Haul mode. The 4L60E is known for being weak in full size trucks, so it's probably good to baby it.
  13. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

283's were 4.64 liters.
    That engine was a nice combined power and mpg. In 1967 the 283 had 195 hp and the 2011 4.8 has 195 hp.

People used them to plow with back then and Chevy sells 1500's with 4.8's with a plow package option now.
  14. larboc

larboc Member

the 4.8 has absolutely nothing to do with a 283, except bore spacing.
    Apples to kumquats.
  15. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

We have a Chevy Half ton with the 4.8 and a boss "V" on it. Does good. Could definitely use some more power with wet snow and large piles, but other than that truck does great
  16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I put a 7.5' Fisher on my 2002 Chevy 1500 4.8 this Summer and I have plowed one storm with it. The truck seams have plenty of power and it doesn't over heat. I think the trani will hold up fine as well as the frame. I wouldn't put a 7' on a full size truck though. I would go with a 7.5' if I was you.
  17. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

The newer 4.8 has a lot more HP than that.
    Isn't is around 300?
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Yup. It is rated at 295-302 hp (320-325 kW) and 305 lb·ft (414 N•m) of torque for all applications.

It doesn't take 300 hp/300 lb-ft to push a few inches of snow on a driveway.
  19. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

from 1999 to 2009 was plow with a V-6 , 4.3 liter Until floor rusted out.
    Had some customers waited until wet 24 inches snow storm was over\. Took 4 hours & 2 tanks of fuel. Took an hour with dry 6 inches & quarter tank.
  20. plowsomesnow

plowsomesnow Junior Member
    from mn

I have a 2000 silverado with the 4.8. I have 7.5 meyer on it and pulled a john deere 7775 (4300lbs) plus 500-600lbs of salt in the box. pushed with no problems it did get a little hard to pull. but thats all I had to work with so thats what I used it.