1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 4.3L Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by roachy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

I have a 4.3L silverado 4x4. I was wondering if you guys think its possible to plow with this. I know a much bigger truck is recommended, but I would be using it for residential use only. If this is possible how much snow do you think it can handle. I live in Jersey where we get a moderate amount of snow.Thanks

2. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

it will push it. the truck may have too work harder but it will do it. remember too plow with the storm, start early and keep up. look at the guys pushing with the s10's they r doing it. i would go with a 7 1/2 foot blade and about 400 lbs of ballast in the bed behind the rear axle. like u said ur doing residential not commercial so its not like u have too move a lot of snow way across the lot. good luck and happy plowing

3. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

I have seen s10's push snow before, but an s10 has a lighter body and same size engine. I have a regular cab long bed, do you think the weight of my truck will affect my pushing compared to an s10. Thanks for the reply.

4. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

It'll help you. The 4.3 is a stout engine.

Its all about putting the power to the ground. A 4.3 is capable of blowing the tires away in the snow.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

A 4.3 is just a small block 350 minus two cylinders. They are built strong, and the truck was geared from the factory to handle at least the GVW listed inside the drivers door. So hanging a plow and putting some ballast in the back won't make a difference. You could put an 8 hores briggs motor in that truck and plow with it if it had the right gears in it.