1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with 3:42 gears?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo38sfi, Jan 9, 2007.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

My truck has 3:42s. When I purchased it I was hoping for 3:73s which is what my Tahoe had, but my only choice with the rest of the options I wanted was either 3:42 or 4:08.
    4:08s would have been killer so I opted for the 3:42s...wondering how this will be when plowing for low end slow pushing...

Now, if we ever got any damn SNOW up here in the Northeast I would be able to tell for myself instead of asking!!

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I've pushed with 3.42's, I've also towed with them. It wasn't hardly noticeable between the truck with 3.73's and 3.42's. If the truck seems like its working hard, drop the transfercase into low-range.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

What is the rest of your truck? please give us some more info...

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

It will work

I have 3:42's in the 93" and in the 99" and 3:73's in the blazer it will work, however when I had my 87" that thing had 4:10's and you could sure notice the difference.

5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I would rather have the 3:42 compared to the 3:73, your saving gas.
    My 89 had 4:10 and it would damn near red line at 70 mph, I wouldn't dare try and drive it faster then that.

Scott

6. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I had a 2dr Tahoe had 3.42 (last guy put that in not me) I had no issues plowing

This Tahoe 4dr has 3.73 plows fine..The only real difference is the 3.42 was not a locker rear end the 3.73 is,the difference is pretty big when driving on the roads in 2wd, it is a lot easier with the plow and the locker 3.73

7. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog Member

3.42 gears...

I plow with 3:42' s in my 93 k2500 - with the 4l60e trans, it has a very low 1st gear, which more than compensates for the "highway" gearing - my previous plow truck was an 86 body, on a '78 full time chev. frame,that truck had 3:08's under it, with a 350 turbo tranny- built 350 'mota- like plowing with the '93 MUCH better, way easier on gas !!! If you have a 4 speed auto, with o.d., you should have plenty of power with the 3:42's 'Rude Dog

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My 94 had 355's but with 31" tires it was more like 330 something gear ratio. Our 06 has 410 posi and I can honestly say there is a huge difference from a starting position. As far as fuel mileage, I only notice a big drop when driving on the thru-way (which has only been 3 times) at 70 mph, it runs around 2500rpm's. Ford's 5 speed auto is a nice thing and around town I might hit 2k rpm's once in awhile.

9. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. The rest of my truck... 2006 Crew Cab Silverado. 5300 Vortec w/locker 3:42 and auto trans. New Snoway that looks great...no clue how it works cause we have no damn snow!

10. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

i have same truck with an 7-6 pro plow on it . handles the weight great and towed a 3 sled snowmoblle trailer . the 3.42 's had no trouble mantaining 70plus miles per hour on the trip. i don't see any problemwith the 3.42 over the 3.73. just better gas miles.