1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 2wd

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clark lawn, Feb 21, 2007.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

im trying to put a plow on my F350 dump 2wd i bought the truck used and it had a plow on it but the previous owner kept it so im trying to find one. wanted a western because thats what was on it and thats what my other trucks have but the dealer told me i cant put one on and they dont make a mount for it. i know i can as it had one already and ive seen many others with plows on them. does anyone know if the mount for a 4wd and a 2wd are the same? the truck is a 97 with a 5.8 gasser and a 11k GVWR 3565 front axle.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't specify if this was a Unimount or an Ultramount but judging by the age of the truck I'm assuming your looking for a Unimount.The 4X4 and the 4X2 use the same mount but the dealer probably told you that they didn't make a mount for that truck due to the fact that Western discontinued the Unimount a few years back.If you want to stay with the Unimount,your best bet would be to look for a used mount.

3. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

what kind of mount is it uni or ultra ?
    does it have wireing truck side ?
    I would go find a used plow and go for it, if it did plow it will again . just throw a ton of ballast in the bed and stay on mostly flat lots .

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

it doesnt matter if it was a unimount or ultramount as everything is gone. i think some wiring is still there for the lights but thats it im planing on getting a used one i just want to know if the mounts for a 4x4 and a 4x2 are the same

5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I can only assume the mounts for a 4x4 & 4x2 are different. Based on the assumption that the 4x uses a solid front axle suspended by leaf springs & the 2x used coil spring IFS. With a welder you can make anything happen or maybe find a used mount from a different mfr?

6. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Uni mount on mine. 05 f-350 2wd. plows great and salts even better. Think it was the last one they had.payup

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you reread my post I mentioned that the 4X4 and the 4X2 mounts are the same for his year truck.(which they are) :)

8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

If you want to run a uni mount plow on it , you can put a ultra mount bracket on the truck and get a ultra mount to uni mount addapter. We had on unimount to put on a new truck and were also buying a new plow. We like being able swap plows between trucks incase of a break down so this addapter made it possible. Just another idea !!!