1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with 2wd pickup

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape Junior Member

Would any of you try plowing with a 2wd pickup? 1988 Dodge Dakota, v6. Anyone daring?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

It might work on flat surfaces with small amounts of fluffy snow, but on hilly areas with 6 or more inches of wet snow, I don't think it would work to good.

You will need lots of weight and good gripping tires.
  3. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Might work, I personally wouldn't waste my money putting a plow on it.
  4. NEAL

NEAL Member

Probably not the best idea. I had to finish a lot in 2 wheel drive when my truck wouldn't stay in 4wd, even with ballast it was tough. You will need to abuse your truck to push snow in 2wd.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I think you should forget it,I think the minimum you need in 2wd is a 1 ton dual wheels,and then put at least 3000 lbs of ballast,the more the better.You dont have the carrying capacity to even carry enough ballast to get traction.The best you could do is about 3-4" of dry snow only,wet snow or hills,forget it,downhill spots,you'd never be able to back out.When I have 3000 lbs in my 2500+ the 400 lb V-box,I still need 4wd a lot of times.
  6. Bad Boy

Bad Boy Junior Member

plowing with 2wd

We have one 2wd drive that we use with and 8.5 plow
    But it is a 1 ton dually with pretty decent tires can be tricky at times use on only big flat lots
    I don't think I would try without dual wheels and a lot of weight
  7. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Before the 1960's if you did not own a dodge powerwagon or a jeep pick-up or cj, people had no choice if thay had a ford or gm to put chains on and a lot of waight to plow with these trucks. Those trucks were very heavy too. The new 2wd trucks can't push a shovel never mind a plow with out snow.