1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 2wd duramax??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blaryslawn, Jan 9, 2010.

1. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and you all have a bunch of great stuff on here.... Just wanted to get some imput from those who have done this. I have a 2500 chevrolet that is two wheel drive and i have an 8' western unimount on it. The truck does ok as long as there is quite a bit of weight in the bed... but alot of the problem is getting to the properties that have to be plowed and if the snow is more then a few inches deep it struggles... I am looking at buying a 2002 one ton dump body Chevy. It has a 12' dump bed on it. excellent deal on the truck and it is like new. The question is whether it would do a decent job plowing being that it is only 2wd... It does have the duramax in it.. Woult there be a big difference between that and the 2500 I am already pushing with?

any info is greatly appreciated

Nick

2. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I think you're going to need lots of ballast in the dump body of the 1-ton and chains. All the state trucks in New York are 2wd and they just use lots of weight in the back and if necessary chains as well. I think you're going to be in the same scenario. I would put studded snows on the back, maybe remove the dual rear wheels and go to a super-single set up so you don't get too much snow stuck in between the dual tires. I know on my M35A2 if you get too much snow in between the tandem axles with dual rears you're day is over without chains and lots of weight and that is a 6x6.

Downside with running chains is clearly that you have the speed reduction. So my first way to go would be to put as much weight as possible on the truck. Then use studded snows for added traction in the rear and when really necessary break out a set of chains. That's just me.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Put good rubber and 3000 lbs in the bed of your 2500 and you should be good, I dont use 4 wheel drive on either of my trucks vary often... How much ballast are you running right now?

4. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

I normally have about 2500Lbs ballast in my truck now. Now I'm in virginia so significant snow is not too common but we had 16" dumped on us in december.another problem was the fact that the truck sits low as it is not to mention having a plow on the front and a pallett of ice melt in the back. I just don't want to get a 2wd dumptruck and regret it even though plowing is not the primary use for it. Hell, I bought two plows and they sat for three years before they even touched snow. Where would I look for studded snow tires?

5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I plowed all last year with a 3500hd 2wd with now ballast and it was fine. I had brand new tires and i used my head when i was plowing. Just dont run up on the piles. You should be used to it from driving your 2500, I think the dually drove better than a regular 2wd truck does.

6. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

what size plow are you pushing with on your 3500... ? and what size would you all recommend for a 2wd 3500? I plan on getting a western