1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with 2WD dump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Foz, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Anyone plow with a Ford 450 or 500 2WD or chevy 3500HD? We have 2 GMC 4WD pickups & F550 4WD dump, and are currently looking for a second dump truck, have never plowed with 2WD & am looking for some input. Would be putting a salt box in the back & using Western V-plow
  2. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

We have been plowing with our 3500HD - 2WD trucks for years without any problems. We have V-box salters or concrete blocks in the back of them for weight. As long as you plow large open lots they work fine. You can get into trouble trying to back up slopes or in tight spots if you plow small area's.

we used a 78 gmc 2wd at work for years it was a beast but as stated by kurt you will need the weight in it.. now using an 83 f350 dump it does the trick also. good luck..
  4. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

We have a 99 Chevy 3500 2WD with 8'6" Western unimount. The truck is great for parking lots and some of the large, open residential driveways that we do. To be honest, I was surprised at how much snow the truck could push. As others have said, ballast is a must. Also, when I ordered the truck, I got the locking differential, which makes a big difference with traction. Mike
  5. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

We have a F350 DRW 4x2 with a 9' Western. Like everyone had mentioned...rear ballast and good tires are very important. I found an empty or slightly loaded vee box is perfect. I wouldn't plow with a loaded vee because its just added strain on the trans. Plow with 2WD does take a little finesse and stick to the flats. I remember a few storms pulling out our 4x4's with a 4x2. I'd also carry a winch or come-a-long just in case.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

While my dump truck is 4x4, I do the majority of my plowing in 2WD on a street route. The only time I use 4x4 is on the mountain run and during ice conditions for more control. AL's the only one who mentioned the posi rear, it would be a necessity with 2WD. For fairly level areas you should be OK, just don't get in too deep when pushing back piles.
  7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

While i transport my plow from job to job i go 2wd and some times in large lots 2wd . but i do use it on hilly and winding areas.
  8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

One of my trucks is a 450 2wd its fine in flat areas.