1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 2WD dually dump body

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jojoremigio, Dec 27, 2007.

1. jojoremigio

jojoremigio Junior Member
    from N.Y.

considering a truck above. how effective are these just with only 2WD? I'm sure there are quite a few running dually dump bodies only with 2WD. I've been shopping for a used one and have run into quite a number of these. I guess they work because there are so many like them. Any first hand experiences with this type? Please thanks
  2. Second Look

Second Look Junior Member

2wd Dump w/ plow

I run a 95 Chevy 2wd Dump with an 8' Western. I just got it a few months ago and it pushes snow great. Make sure you load up the bed with weight or you wont mov! I use agout 3k of bagged ice melt, figuring I will use it at some point, and when spring rolls closer I will get a yd or 2 of soil. Parking lots and straight drives, cant climb a hill to save my a$$! Thats where the 79 Chevy comes in! If I had a chance to buy another, I don't think I would do it.
  3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

And stay out of loading docks! :nono:
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We used a 2wd for years, as a salt truck.

The new one is 4WD, its great.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not a good choice if it is your only truck. I am running a 2003 with an 8'6" with Western Pro Plus wings. I have 24 2'X2'6" patio stones on the flat deck. Last week we pushed 12 to 15" of dry snow. No problem at all.
  6. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Forget being able to push any substancial amount of snow, and being able to turn tight with the plow down.
  7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I plow with my 2WD dump, no problems whatsoever. I have studded winter tires and an Eaton Posi unit in the rear. Most of the time I don't even run with any salt in the v box. Its all in the tires and having a posi rear.
  8. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

I myself ran a 3500 chevy diesel with a 10' yes a 10' pro plow and as long as you have GOOD TIRES AND POSI REAR AND A LOT OF WIGHT YOU WILL BE OK just dont make it your only truck on the job if you get stuck you will be up the creek with out a paddle
  9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

even if you have good traction on the rear its nice to have 4wd so you can steer with a blade full of snow.
  10. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Yep, I run a 350 dump with 4wd, but sometimes dont put it in, Im good until I try to make a sharp turn with a blade full, then its hello 4wd.
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

we have about 5 2wd 3500 chevys, 1 truck is my plow route leader. its an 04 chery 3500 with a blizzard 810. he has 2-4 yards of river rock in it and has no problems at all. he did get stuck a few times on the 2nd snow we had this year due to improper weight, but after he added, he was fine.
  12. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Mine is 2 wheel with a locker, 2 yards of mix, haven't gotten stuck in the 6 years I have had it. It has some limits as to up hill pushing. Run chains in a heavy storm. You have to be careful.
  13. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

at my job 4-5 year ago before we got our suply of 450s we plowed with 88-92 dodge 3500 2wd dumps, with 8ft meyer classic mount and 2 yards of materil in the bacl...they did ok as long as we didnt get upwards of a foot...
    keep in mind these were used for plowing streets so i dont kno how that would compare to lot action....
    all in all if ur a decent driver you should have no problems
  14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I would never buy a truck without 4x4...even if I wasn't plowing living in florida
  15. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

After the last two storms we got you wouldn't catch me plowing without a four wheel drive vehicle unless it was a 10 yard Topkick dump with a belly blade. Loaded with salt.

No way no how.
  16. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Right now, We plowed with a 2wd dump, because the 4wd is broke, Have a pallet of Rock Salt in the back, It works, But have a hard time getting up hills. Havent really pushed any serious snow. I wouldnt make it my only truck.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

WTF are you talking about?
  18. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Probably some computer searched on plow "shoes" and has a mind of its own. The machines are taking over, where's John O'Connor?
  19. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Had the exact same situation last season. Made me appreciate 4WD even more than I did before. I wouldn't buy any plow truck with 2WD.