1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 2wd back hoe

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by towpro570, Oct 19, 2009.

1. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

looking at buying a 95 case 590 super L for pusher box .stacking , clean up any thoughts xysport

2. NorthDakota

NorthDakota Member

I have not had good succes with 2wd backhoes...we have case about that same year....turning is near impossibe and traction is minimial at best.

3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I plowed with 2wd backhoes for quite a while when I first started running them. It can be done alright but I would never go back to a 2wd. If it is mostly straight pushing and you don't use an angle plow it is alright. Otherwise you will wear out your brakes because you pretty much have to steer with them. Even now with my 4wd I rarely have the front wheels engaged while plowing unless it is unusually slippery or a heavy push.

4. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i don't know what i'm going to do yet just thought about it because it's for sale by local municipality

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I plow my camp road with my old international that is 2/wd. it does alright. but like what was said before it pushes the front end around and you have to steer with brakes.
    [​IMG]

6. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

so best to use for stacking only ?

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I used the backhoe on the camp road like i said. and most of the time it was ice under the snow so it did slide around a bit. I might use it this year on asphalt I am not sure. I now have a blade on the backhoe now. You might be able to use it to push.

8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

You can plow with it with little problem. It will push as much as a P/U. I was just stating that 4wd backhoes are easier to use. You can also keep a couple hundred lbs of sand/salt in the back bucket for added weight. It does make a big difference for traction. I recommend filling the back bucket with as many bags of salt as you can get in and it can also be used on site or you can make a few tailgate sales. I wouldn't use bulk because it will get wet and then it ends up as a useless clump.
    Make sure the diff lock works too. Without 4wd I found it very necessary, especially when back dragging loading docks etc.