1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 2wd 3500hd??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ServiceOnSite, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i know ive heard of other people doing it with regular 3500's in 2wd. what i want to know is if anyone on this site uses a 3500hd with the 19.5 rims to plow with and how well it works? those tires are like pizza cutters and not the most aggresive looking thing out back. i was think of putting a plow frame and harness on the truck just as some sort of emergency back up to the back up truck lol but if its that crapy of a truck to use then y bother??? any input would be great just wondering if any one does this with this truck?

2. m297

m297 Member

Thats all I used until GM stopped making them. Had no issues expecially with a load of salt on board. Wish they still made them because the 12,000GVW isnt cutting it.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure it would be fine if you have some weight over the drive tires., I think vaughn shultz or whatever he changed his name to on here (grassbusters) uses a f450 dump in 2wd most of the time pushing an 8611.

I'm guessing your talking about the 95 you have in your sig? If your looking at getting another I think Monroe would do 4x4 conversions on them, the local city dept here has a few of them.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I have put plows on them before. But you can't get mounts for them from fisher or western anymore. I think meyers and blizzard are the only ones who still makes mounts for them.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And so does Boss, Curtis and Snoway.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the SEARCH function on the gray line at the top of the page. SEARCH : Plowing with 2 wheel drive - etc. It's been addressed here many times. It will give you plenty of reading material. You just have to be careful and watch getting off camber or on a grade. Chains help too if it's that bad of conditions.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

just add weight, u can plow with almost any 2wd with weight, and if its a back up truck, its better than no back up at all

8. ServiceOnSite

i get the 2wd thing im just wondering about these trucks with those super skinny non aggressive tires on them. just looking at the tires i would think they had to be the worst in the winter. 450's and 550's have a 4wd option. the 3500hd 1500gvw dont have that option. and im not about to drop 4-5k to give it that option.

like i said just wanted to know if you guys use these trucks. not the regular 3500's

9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I have a 1994 3500HD with the 19.5's on it...factory OEM tires on it(goodyear wranglers) and they are anything but skinny. They are lower profile, but my tires in fact are wider than the regular 3500's. Front factory tires were just grooves they were fine but i changed them for a pair that have some tread on them. I had a 10ft straight on it this last winter with a 2yd sno-way with extended sides on it as well and have just purchased an 810 for it. Never did i get stuck or even come close.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Used mine for 5 years. Went out with a load of salt and did 3 schools before it went salting. I only stopped using it because we needed it full time to salt. This year I used a 3500 with 24 patio stones on the back and it did just great. We even had a few snowfalls over 12". Wouldn't use one if it was the only truck but as a back up it would work well.

11. ServiceOnSite

thanks for the info ill be looking to buy a boss mount and wireharness now for the truck if anyone has one.