1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 2WD 3/4 ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikekl, Dec 1, 2004.

1. mikekl

mikekl Junior Member

I have a 1999 dodge ram 2500 2wd with gas engine,it does have limited slip dana 60 full floating rear end and tranny cooler. I dont know if it would have the traction to plow or not,it is used primarily to pull the lawn care trailer during the summer.Any comments??

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

May be able to push a rotating brush or something, but not plowing.

3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

The plowing would work fine for light/ and or clean up work. But you could never have it as a primary snow plow.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It would do a surprizing job with about 2500 to 3000lbs of ballast in the back and some seriously grippy tires. (as long as it does not have a heavy diesel up front too) You would not want to plow down any country lanes though and stick to fairly flat surfaces. Also do not get a very heavy plow either. Do not try it though without some serious weight in the bed and the more the better. I have seen a few 2WD plow trucks in my day do pretty good when load properly.

5. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Yuk!

Wouldn't even OWN a 2 wd!!!

6. easygreenlawn

easygreenlawn Junior Member
    from N. Ohio

You can.... IF

I have a 3/4 Dodge that is my main salter with a 8' Blizzard. Heavy plow, and to top it off, heavy Diesel. I rarely need 4x4, but it also has a V-Box installed in the bed. Rarely do I use 4x4, but I do need it every one and a while when salt is low. I think you could do well up to about 3" without a problem. If you are residential only, and if they are shorter drives, maybe even up to 5". Just dont use it when its a heavy snow, but then of course thats when you will need it!

7. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

I can see if you have a lot of ballast that it might work on flat surfaces. One of my trucks is a 2wd F-250 and I store it up at my cabin during the winter. About three days ago I had to move it up this small hill on the property just after it had snowed maybe 3-5''(northern Wisconsin) and I had a hell of a time getting it up the hill. I probably had close to 20% of the 3000 pounds suggested a couple of post above but man I love my four wheel drive. But like I said above, I store the truck over the winter so thats just my $.2.

8. Tarkus

One year about 20 years ago, my 4x4 was down for repairs when a freak unexpected storm hit in march here, a blizzard. When got about 18 inches not counting drifts and my infant son was sick I and had to get to town for some medication. Car was out of the question and I debated saddling a horse but it was very cold and windy too so I thru a set of tire chains on a old 1/2 ton 2wd chevy pickup and about 800lbs in the back and that thing was a tank and easily drove down unplowed roads to get to town and back. I even had to cut through "yard" to get out because long drive was hopelessly drifted in. Properly equipped a 2wd can do some amazing things that even stock 4wd's are challanged at.

9. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

you can always properly equipe a 4x4 better though ;) i don't really run ballasts ever because i use teh truck for other things not inluding plowing, so i will always have a 4x4. but i've tried 2wd in trucks before and once you get moving you push the snow just like in 4x4. unless of course it was heavy snow or just a lot of snow. i still think you are better off tryign to find a used 4x4 and be done with it.

10. Tarkus

No arguement on the used 4x4 but it is doable with limited funds with a 2wd as a 2wd with chains and a bit of weight will usually beat a 4x4 without chains on snow and ice. My wife has studded tires on hee 2wd car durring winter and it will outperform most 4x4 SUV's on ice with confidance. It is all in how you set things up too and what you are doing.

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

All of ou rwork trucks are 2wd duallies and we have never had any problems getting around in the snow. Granted they weigh in at about 8K lbs. Back in the day my old man had a Dodge Power Wagon, 4wd, but he said he never had to put it into 4 wheel.

I guess it depends on ballast and your right foot!