1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with 285 75 16's also mini spring pack question.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by whdahel, Dec 23, 2015.

1. whdahel

whdahel Junior Member

Well I want to replace my 235 85 16's with 285 75 16's on my 99 f250 SD v10 . I had them om my 88 f250 and loved em summer and winter(treadwright gaurd dogs). Any cons going to the 285s? The 235 's look tiny. Also was thinking of leveling truck with a mini spring pack off ebay. Any input??

2. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

A lot of people will probably tell you the narrower tires will do better in the snow.
    You will get less mpgs
    285 are more expensive
    Other than that, I don't know of any cons

I had a mini spring 2 inch level on my 02 and didn't have any problems

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

The search feature will show you THOUSANDS of responses about this. The subject has been beaten to death.

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Take a look at any World Rally Car (WRC) racing on snow or ice. Notice how narrow the tires are. And they're primarily worried about traction. Enough said.

We don't run anything wider than 235's on our fleet of Super Duties in the winter. Anything wider and they guys start looking like Dorothy Hamill in the parking lots - especially on ice.

5. whdahel

whdahel Junior Member

I get the skinny tires, and i did do some searching it talked me out of 35's . I want a happy medium. I cut alot of fire wood through the summer and a little clearance and floating would help. Only have a couple comercial acounts . I couldn't find any thing as skinny as a 235/85 and 33" tall.

6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Best thing to do is run 2 sets, summer/winter.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Go with 265s

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Exactly to different needs. Snow and ice in winter and mud in summer. Two sets of tires t g at way you won't compromise in both season s you can have the best of both worlds.

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I run 285s (E's) on our SD and Tahoe. Unless they are studded, it doesn't matter the width of tire if its on ice. You wont have any problems in the snow, but I would suggest the wardens over the guard dogs. The guard dogs are more of a mud tire than snow if im not mistaken. Personally, I wouldn't run any tire other than a BFG all terrain (which is the same pattern as the wardens) on my plow truck. I suspect you would be happy with those in the snow and mud, but that's just my $.02

10. whdahel

whdahel Junior Member

I did have em on my 88 (285'S) and they pushed good, only got hung up once bucking a pile on a hard ice pack last year , and we had a bit of snow. I am a maintenance electician by trade and push snow for just a few places. I know I don't have the time behind the wheel like most of you do.I was concidering the wardens, but am still set on the gaurd dogs been through 2 sets with no complaints. Learned you should rotate every oil change though. I know I can't have the perfect tire for every condition, and was just looking for some input
    . Thanks for your time guys. Merry Christmas!

11. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I run them on my 04 with no problem

12. TwiceStroked

TwiceStroked Member

Ditto, I've been running 285's with Donahue (Deaver)
    Mini paks for years on my 04 and 285 with U codes on exc since new.
    Zero issues fills the wheelwells too.

13. BDTRUX

BDTRUX Member

I run 285 tires, no problems. If you're looking for tall & skinny, look for 255/85/16