1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 2000 silverado 2500 non HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by miker2471, Feb 25, 2010.

1. miker2471

miker2471 Junior Member

can anyone tell me whether or not this truck will hold a plow, I'm new to this and dont plan on plowing 100 acres with it, but I just want to be sure that this truck will hold the plow well enough, any ideas on what would be a good starter plow?

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Should hold a plow fine. What size are you looking at?

The front axle weight rating will be lower than a 2500hd by a bit, but with 3-4 torsion bar cranks and some timbrens it should hold one fine.

There are a few 2500 users on here somewhere too...

3. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I'm running an 8.5 extremeV on an extended cab short box 2000 2500 silverado... I have the torsion bars cranked up and timbrens on it, and generally run 500 lbs of bagged salt against the tail gate and it handles it pretty good...

Matthew

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Mine holds my 8ft Snow Dogg just fine. Got 4 turns on the tbars, timbrens and about 450lbs of ballast. Front drops maybe 1/2 inch. Got the same motor and trans as the 2500HD so there is no lack of power. Mine has 160K and still doesnt miss a lick:nod:

5. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

have a 2000 2500. Bought brand new. Has been plowed with since new. 75% commercial,15% res., Boss 8' pro poly. truck is holding up fine. it is 8600 gvw. going to run it till it dies. 135,000 mi.

6. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Sorry 75% commercial 25% residential. It's been a long day!

7. tmltrans

tmltrans Member

I wouldn't hesitate plowing with truck. If your going with a straight blade put in the correct counter weight and you probably wouldn't have to mess with tbars.

8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I would bet if you check your title it actually says HD on it. Even if does not you will have NOT one problem putting a blade on it. Timbrens would be extra insurance.

9. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

i had a 2000 gmc 2500 that held up great 4 turns and timbrens all around was a work horse 8.5 western ultra mount sold it at 196k and still ran strong

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

If its an NBS, I don;t think there was an HD model that year. Check the GVWR...8600 is 2500, 9200 is 2500HD.

I have an 8' fisher on my 2000 2500, toss a bunch of firewood in the back and I'm good. Holds the weight no problem.

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

One thing people don't realize is a non HD is the same as every 3/4ton built since 1989.

12. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

And we had no problems plowing with them!