1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with 2 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kingbman1, Dec 10, 2003.

1. kingbman1

kingbman1 Junior Member

Any of you plow with a two wheel drive truck?

2. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

Seen it done - would not recomend it. Even 4x4's here sometimes have problems.

3. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I've heard of some guy's that have heavy salt trucks can get away with it but just a regular truck you will become very frustrated.

4. newkidonthebloc

newkidonthebloc Junior Member

couldn't imagine trying doing it with a 2 wheel drive. if you can swing it - 4x4 is definitely worth the extra money - now and when it's time to sell.

5. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

I know a guy who uses a big 1 ton duel wheel with a spreader in the back (2wd). He didn't have much fun trying to help me last year when the road was all icy. I think if you run some good chains and you have a limited slip rear end with lots o' weight you "may" be OK.

6. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I used to have a 2 WD ford dually that worked ok.

Now I have a 4x4 GMC dually and leave it if 2WD most of the time unless it is icy

In the spring I bought a Chevy C4500 that seemed to handle this last storm with no problems.

7. LocalTouch

LocalTouch Junior Member
    from Ohio

Last 2 storms were about 2 inches of the slushy stuff, and did almost everything in 2whl. Until started to do driveways with steep inclines. Use an F250. Most of the time I only use 2 whl, except when it starts to get deep! Good to know I have the 4 whl though...

8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

I use 2 wheel drive 80% of the time but it is nice to have 4 when it is icy, hilly or deep.

9. bastalker

bastalker Junior Member
    from Ct.

The only problem with hookin a plow up to a 2wd is finding out it doesn't work when you need it to. Thats an awful lot of work for nuthin. Would never even consider putting a plow on a 2wd truck.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would not plow with 2 wheel drive unless it was a mack 5 wheeler with chains

11. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

We plow with 2 wheel drive dual rear wheel trucks all the time .Put some weight on the back and go. Last years 24 inches in Maryland was no problem . The nly thing is be careful on down hill slopes make sure there is no ice . Lots of people use 2 wheel drives around here.

12. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

my dakota wont go 10 feet in 2whl, regardless of weight in the back

13. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

2wd

Alot of the trucks with the larger plows 8' and bigger are 2wd with dulley and they all seem to do fine. But regular truck with 2wd I dont know. But even 4wd in ice isnt that great.

14. alwaysgreen

alwaysgreen Junior Member

I've always used 2wd Mason dumps with duel wheels the trick is to use a plow that is wide enufff the rear tire track on my f450 is just under 8' I have a 9' boss on the truck and have never had a problem, I used to have a chevy ( Yuck junk trucks) c-30 with a 8' plow and it would slide sideways into the snow at the end of the run and I'd have to rock it out every few passes. 2 wd or 4 wd it's the driver if you can drive you can do it with a 2wd, if you let the truck drive you you'll need a 4x4 and then some.