1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with 2 wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jerry and Sons, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons Junior Member

I have been plowing for the last 10 years all with f 350's. I have an oppurtunity to buy a f 550 dump 2wd. It would be great for the rest of my landscaping business, but would like some opinions on plowing parking lots with it.
    Thanks 2001 ford f550 7.3 diesel
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Did you try the search button? This poor horse has been beaten beyond death.

Extra weight in the back, good tires, watch the hills and avoid getting stuck in piles.
  3. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

If you are doing large lots you will be fine just put alot of weight in the rear. I have plowed with many 2 wheel drive trucks and only needed a chain a few times. Even in my trucks that have 4 wheel i rarely use it ( though it sure is nice to have the option when you need it)
  4. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

Really? I've been a member for six years and never heard the "plow in 2-wheel drive" question asked:rolleyes:
  5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i have. lots of times.

just dont let the front end drop off the pavement, be carefull pushing into piles, and have a friend with a chain handy.
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

He's got you beat by one year!

I plow in 2wd at least half the time. I use 4wd to get out of a jam or bust through deeper snow, so a 2wd only truck is capable. Especially that one.
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

My 1 ton dump in my sig is 2WD. It works very well for plowing. It does sometimes get stuck, but It's definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me...
  8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Plowing in 2wd is kind if like having sex without using a condom. for the majority of the time, you will be safe, but at one time or another, you're going to be in the wrong place at the right time, and you'll have to pay for it dearly.

Don't ask me how I know this.....:p
  9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

How much is the truck? I'll buy it
  10. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

with good tires and the right counter balance id say i plow 90% of the time in 2wd with no prob.
  11. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

I thought the rolling eyes smiley might have been a clue but I should have done this:

************************************ SARCASM ALERT!****************************************** The previous statement may be tinged with some degree of sarcasm
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Some guys think that the average 4wd with open diffs is really only a 2wd
  13. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

2001 gmc

I run a 2001 gmc3500 4x4. I have a 2 yard stainless sander in the back loaded when im plowing. With that set up the only time ive needed 4x4 is when you get down over a curb or are pushing that wet cement snow.
  14. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

We've got an 07 550 with a 9.5" Fischer Xtreme V on the front and a 2YD Pro caster on the back. 4x4 wasn't working when we bought it. Plowed once with it and realized we didn't need to fix it either. With the weight of the salt on the back it's a tank and has miles of traction. I have to recover a 4x4 at least once a month. I've never had to recover the 550.
  15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Yes, I caught that. Ha!
  16. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

we plow with a f350 dump thats 2wd. even do driveways with it if need be. works fine. got stuck once when i backed into a ditch but that's it. even plowed with it in the ice storm. you''ll be good.