1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with 09 ram 1500 hemi ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by TheYardBarber, Oct 9, 2014.

1. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

Hello.l this will be my first year plowing. I have been doing lawn care/landscaping for years but decided to plow this year.

I have a 09 dodge ram 1500 hemi quad cab that I plan to put a 7.5 airflo stainless steel plow on. I believe they are about 650 lbs.

I am not plowing any big lots. I have about 20 driveways and 2 small parking lots (10 spots)

All of these contracts are for 2-3 inches. What do you think about my truck plowing?

If all goes well ill upgrade to a 2500

2. JohnMeyer

JohnMeyer Member

The truck will do alright as long as you don't beat the crap out of it. Take the plow off when there are stretches of good weather to help the front end hold up and drive easy when it's on. Not everyone needs or wants an F-350.

3. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

Yeah I figured I'd me ok.. where I live it may not even get used this year more than a couple times. I plan to take it easy and all of my contracts are set up at 2-3 inches each visit so it won't be too much weight to push

4. JohnMeyer

JohnMeyer Member

Driving from job to job is rougher on a truck with a plow attached than plowing is. Driving with a plow on any truck late in the winter when the frost action makes the streets and roads rough causes a lot more pounding on the suspension. The stress increases with the extra weight of a plow on the front of a truck. Spinning the wheels when plowing causes stress on the axles and drive shafts if you hit dry ground and the stop spinning quick, but common sense can prevent that.

5. TheYardBarber

TheYardBarber Member

Sounds good thanks man