1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing while sick

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slade, Dec 19, 2005.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

We got a couple inches of snow Sat. night Sunday morning. I was out for about 12 hours and vomitted 3 different times. That is rough plowing when you are sick, but still you gotta love the snow.:)

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think that everyone who has been in this business long enough has been there a time or two.

3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

As much as i hate doing anything when i am sick. Snow just seems to make me better.

4. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

That happens to me every time I wind up plowing a big parking lot.
    Only thing that saves me is a big bag of pretzels. Keeps my mind off the problem.
    But making money seems to help. payup

5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Too much information for me dude :eek:

6. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

haha i had a bad case of whooping cough the last time out, I coughed so hard that i ended up with 2 cracked ribs and would cough so violently that i could barely control the truck, not to mention the puking that resulted from some of the bad coughing spells, i would have rather been home in bed but thats life and almost everyone i know who plows has been sick at one point or an other while out on the job. Hope your feeling better anyway.

7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I pitty you slade! Okay, but there is nothing more stupid than plowing with a self inflicted hangover---or better known as the alcholflu!

8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Plowed through a 18'' storm one year with atemp of 103 degrees!! Man that sucked!!

9. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Cant call in sick to Mother Nature :rolleyes:

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Gotta lover your backup driver sometimes! Just kidding!

11. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing sick can be one of the worst things.I just count how many house's are left on my route until I can go home and go back to bed.But sometimes I do that when I not sick.

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

A couple of years ago I plowed with respiratory pneumonia. My throat hurt so bad that I couldn't talk, had to have my wife ride with me so I could comunicate to the guys on the radio/cell phone. What a miserable 2 days.

13. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

been there. had pneumonia a few times, doesn't stop me from enjoying the snow.

14. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Imagine the scene.. both Yellow and Green snow!

Been there, done that - it ain't fun. Amazing how good plowing with your windows down feels when you are running a fever.

15. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

sick,sick, big time sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 1996, sunday night around 7:00 pm. We (5 trucks) were driving approximately 15 miles south of the shop to scrape a shaws supermarket plaza we had at the time. I ate an italian sandwich on the ride down, BAD COLDCUTS FOOD POISONING! Unless you have experienced this condition yourself, you can't even imagine how violent the sickness is!

16. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

a cheap hooker will take care of that.. or make you sicker

17. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

While vomiting is really bad, diarrhea is much worse! That won't happen here!

18. slade

slade Senior Member

Thanks dirt werx, I am feeling a whole lot better now. It is good to know that I am not alone in this(plowing while sick). One other thing I wanted to mention was that I wasn't sick when I went out at 2:30 a.m., I would guess that I started feeling bad at 5:30 a.m. This is Sunday morning. Saturday afternoon I had a family gathering. Saturday night my Mom got sick, Sunday morning I got sick, and Monday my sister got sick. Sounds like there is something going around. The good news is that the sickness seems to be short lived.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  19. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Had to plow while not feeling well a time or two. Part of life I guess, especially if you've been at plowing for many years. Glad to hear your illness didn't last very long.

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050