1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing when sick?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mr.PLOWSI, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Hey,

Being sick and plowing really do not mix. There was a little storm in NYC. Sunday night woke up around 3am(wasn't feeling too good) got out, cleaned the 1 inch up, then I felt like death, between not sleeping much and getting out in the cold I walked into my house and I though I was gonna die. I just woke up, slept about 25 hours and still feel like crap, anyone ever feel this way and if you did how did you get through it. I couldn't imagine if it was a real storm, like a 8-12 incher,

Larry

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Lots of water, orange juice (or Vitamin C tablets if you don't like OJ), Echinacea and lots of sleep when you get home.

3. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

You should have a back-up driver. There has got to be a million guys out there that would be happy to take your route for one storm. I have at least five guys I could call in a moments notice that would cover me. My route wouldn't be the first on their list, but it would get done well when they did it.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If i really wasent feeling good then i have one of my many friends who plow do it for me. My brother can do it also, my father could do it hell my mother could do it (well maybe LOL). Generally it would take alot to get me to sit out for a storm, id have to be near dead.

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Larry, I know the feeling. We had a 3 incher last Wednesday and I had the flu. My 6 hours in the truck felt like 6 days. I hope I never have to do that again.

Buck

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Funny you mentioned this, I was just recently worrying about it.

I haven't had to deal with it yet and I'm not looking forward to it.

None of my friends have plows. One friend's brother does, but he's neither experienced or dependable. So right now, I'm basically screwed if I was too sick to do it myself. Something I definitely have to work on. I have a buddy who lives just a few minutes away, I've been thinking about training him as a backup using my truck, but he backpedaled when I mentioned it. I think he's afraid of being responsible if he hits/breaks something, I can't say as I blame him.

One of these days hopefully I'll hook up with some other local plow contractors and find some good subs. Until then it's daytime cold medicine I guess.

7. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Yeah, funny you brought this up!

This past weekend I had the flu and was real nervous because the forecast was predicting snow. We ended up only getting a dusting...phew! Of course I would have done my best if I had to plow, but it would've been difficult with the flu! :dizzy:

8. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Networking. It can be crucial to your business. If you're sick, you can probably get through it if you have to. How about if you break a leg, god forbid, or something that physically prevents you from even getting in the truck period!

Or what if you crash, like I did a couple of nights ago...backups are essential to business continuity. With so much competition, the business or home owners typically won't have trouble finding someone else to plow for them. But for you (us), it can put you out of the plowing business if you can't rely on a backup.

9. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I'll work in any condition. Even if I have to plow in a casket. It's too fun to miss!! :jester:

10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Last week had to plow about 2.5 inches with the beginning of the flu.Had a fever and shakes but my other driver was out of the state.Horrible i wish to never do that again.The cold feels 10 times worse when you are sick with the fever.

11. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Just went through the exact same thing yesterday. I felt like I was going to die. Got home and hit the bed, took and hour for the shivering to stop. I hate being sick, same reason I don't like drinking. I am not happy if I am not 100% capable.

12. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

SUCK IT UP, pull your self up by your boot straps, be a man. Sometimes you just have to do it. I always have. :salute:

13. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, I'll be sure to call Valhalla and have them reserve a room for you. :salute:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a little tip if you feel you might be coming down with something and your afraid it might snow in the next day or so. Drink a bottle of BLACK RUM or as much as you can and go to bed. It works.

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I feel your pain. I plowed a night two years ago with the Norwalk Virus. Totally sucked.

16. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Driving Sick

Haven't had to (fortunately) plow being sick yet, but have had to in the semi. Was wore down and kept trying to sleep it off. Was terrible. Ended up calling in and going to doctor, i knew there was no way. Ended up having Pneumonia. Had to sit a week. It's a dump truck and is kinda like plowing. A week in the middle of busy season!

Jeff

17. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

Rules for individuals who have plow contracts: For the entire winter season your on duty 24 hours a day seven days a week. You can not take days off, weekends off, take a vacation, get sick...or die.

18. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i haven't had to plow sick. but i have had to do many things when i would rather have curled up and died. like 7 years ago was sick as (well lets just say look at me, look at dead man, no differance) anyway hounds were going nuts, went out to yell at them. i hear 2 bobcats fighting. so what do i do? go hunting of course. spent next 6+ hours chasing hounds and bobcat through woods. actually though i think it helped with the sweating and all. by the way it was winter cold but no snow. just remember a mans got to do what a mans got to do.

19. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

GIT 'ER DONE!!!!! :drinkup: :nod: :salute:

20. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

I'm feeling better today :) for 2 reasons. First, I'm down to is a little cough, feeling a lot better. Second, I've been watching the models for this storm in the mid-atlantic for the weekend and its looking pretty good that we are gonna get hit with at least 6 inches(calling it first) in the nyc area, On top of the 1-2 incher were gonna get this afternoon. I also agree that a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. The only thing that would stop me from plowing a storm is if I were dead cuz the money is too good and I love it too much. But I do have to admit the other day the "love" for snow was not there, well thats the update,

Larry