1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing W/ No Shoes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Oct 13, 2008.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

This is my first year plowing commercially and everyone I have wants it down to "bare Pavement". Would it ok running with no shoes? Also a few accounts have freshly sealed lots, will that scratch that all up. Also what are the cons of running with no shoes?

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I don't use shoes on lots. The only time I would use shoes is on gravel where there is a chance of digging in.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't even know where the shoes for my plow are at. The only time I could see them being used is on gravel that hasn't froze yet.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I only use shoes to keep my feet warm and dry.

5. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Even with shoes on you can dig Into the gravel...Learn to plow with no shoes

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

No shoes.......only on the feet like JDiepstra said.

7. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Thanks Everyone for your help!!! I cant count how many times this site as helped me out.

8. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Will running no shoes leave marks on freshly sealed pavement or do you plow any differently?

9. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i dont even know where my snow shoes are....i have never run shoes on my plow.

10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Take them off and forget about it. They make great paper weights!:waving:

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Seal coat is a consumable.
    It wears off from traffic plowing and oxidation.

One reason a business choices to seal there lot is to keep water from entering the asphalt. Another reason it binds the finer sand to minimize the effects of traffic and plowing.

My lots do not want me to use mush salt at all.
    They all want to see asphalt.
    So take off the shoes and slide on the bunny slippers

;)If you offer seal-coating to your customers it is a win win.

I only use shoes in unfrozen drives. Some times I don't even put them back on (I'm Lazy) I just lift the plow a little.

12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

shoes we dont need no stinkin shoes. i have no idea where mine are and i even plow gravel i dont think those would even help.

13. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Plows have feet? My plow must have been wounded in a war and had to have them amputated!:D

14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

cons to not using shoes.
    Easier to damage the surface your plowing on.
    cutting edge wears down qucker.

cons to using shoes.

added weight to front of truck (little bit)
    have to keep adjusting them to keep them even with blade.
    does not scrape as clean as without shoes unless your running the shoes higher than the cutting edge.

i keep the shoes on in case i need them but run them just above the cutting edge. keeps me from digging in hard and tripping the blade as easy on uneven surfaces and they are always there if i need to lower them for gravel..

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Shoes belong in the closet. If you salt you will be using more salt and that compared to buying a new cutting edge is peanuts. I keep a plow an average of 4 years and have never replaced a cutting edge yet.

If you get paid by the pound to salt then that is a different story but we are on contract.

16. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

No Shoes here

17. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

No shoes. Shoes dig in soft ground anyhow from my experience. Haven't had any better luck plowing soft ground with shoes on. Plowing a parking lot no way I'd run shoes...perfect clean up without them. Won't have any build-up of snow/ice after a few plows!

18. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

no shoes here also. my plow didn't even come with any( bought it used). my solution to gravel drives is the first plow of the season i just back blade them as much as possible to create a base.

19. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Same here no shoes just back drag the graval drives until it freezes .

20. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Thanks for all of your help, I will run with no shoes and backdrag or use my skid loader on gravel lots til it freezes.