1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing W/Chevy 1500 Series WT

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joseph Meidling, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Joseph Meidling

Joseph Meidling Junior Member

Well, I have just about given up on finding a dealer who would recommend plowing with either an S-10, Ranger or Dakota pickup. One dealer recommended a Chevy WT series truck, he even said it was about the same price as an S-10. Again I will only be using this truck for limited plowing (2- 4 driveways), and as my primary means of transport to and from work . Any info would be appreciated.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

No dealer wil; recommend plowing with small trucks now,if you want one,find a sno-way dealer and see what you can fit on the truck,Id go with an S10 or Dakota since the front ends are stronger.No V8 in dakota if your plowing though,yo much weight on the front end.If you'd rather have a full size truck,the W/T is the best value,there are a lot of them here and some are 2 yrs old,still plowing and towing yr round,you can get a 7 1/2 or 8 ft sno way on the W/T easily,the front end is plenty strong,and the weight of a plow isnt a problem,especially with the v6 in the W/T.

3. Joseph Meidling

Thanks for the info. I will begin my research; looking into S-10, Dakota and the Chevy WT. Are there any web sights or other source for finding prices and specifications for these vehicles? Also I was told by a co-worker to get the limited slip diff. on the Chevy, Good advice?

Thanks again.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Was at Bedford Truck Yesterday and they said Fisher makes kits for Dodge, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Nissan and MAzda to mount 6'9" Minute Mount. All of these trucks can handle the weight of this plow acording to the charts they showed me. Now of course there will be increased wear and tear as there is with any plow.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

what models is the 6' 9" fisher for? Full size of compact trucks?

Geoff

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes the 1500 blazer will do more work per hour than an F 350 diesel, in a compact area. Blazers can turn quick, and are small and compact.

However In a wide open lot, I will take anyone one of my Big full size trucks, against your blazer. Long runs in a big area is where the larger trucks win out. Do you think your blazer could push as much as my F 550 with a 9.5' V-plow?

Geoff

7. Joseph Meidling

Any idea on the price of a Fisher 6'9" W/ a Minute Mount? Would this be comparable in price to a Snoway series 24?

[Edited by plowking35 on 01-26-2001 at 07:57 AM]

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think they are around 2600-2700 uninstalled. Don't quote me on that as I am not positive. What does a snoway run for? I know the fishers are more expensive then meyer and western. The fisher is a much heavier plow even on a compact truck.

9. Joseph Meidling

Actually, I don't know how much the Snoway runs either.

10. Joseph Meidling

From what I read on other posts, a series 25 - 8" Snoway is "right about $3,000" uninstalled, and without lights.

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have full size and compact fisher plows,the 6.5 Fisher is very light,and weak,I bought it used and would not buy another one.The rest of the Fishers are tough,but not the little 6.5,it looks whipped after 7 yrs of use,not hard use either,just backup and driveways.