1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing w/ Blazer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BurbLover, Nov 15, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover Junior Member

I've got an 84 K5 Blazer that I'm going to be using part time to plow with (while main truck is down).

I'm installing an 18000 lb tranny cooler and a temp gauge on it. It got a 6.2 diesel/700R4/208 drivetrain with stock axles and a rear locker.

Is there anything I need to woory about or consider doing as well?

Thanks.

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Just change fluids/filters and grease everything.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover Junior Member

Pretty much already did all that. Thanks though. I apprecaite your input. :)

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Short wheel base will make it a good tight area rig. A 7.5 will go fine on it. IMO. I miss my old k5 :( Vis and keeping the windows from foging and frosting on you might be a PITA and drive you nuts but other than that. Oh.....and throw the auto hubs in the trash if they are still on it and buy some warn or mile marker premiums. I like the warns but anywho.....

And ballast! Run it but make sure its not going anywere like the back of your head in a wreck!

5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Sell that hunker.....to me!! I need a good back up truck and miss my old K5 :cry:

6. K5 Love

Last year was my first time plowing with my K5..... I was able to get in some tight spaces..... not as tight as the jeeps get in....but close....
    I had a great time...i would have had an easier time but i had 33'' bologna skin tires.....now i got's me some 33'' cooper at's. You should get some timbering's. They helped a lot

7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Just to add on...

The trans cooler is #1. You might also want to consider an in line trans fluid filter. Some of the early 700's had a tendancy to grenade the torque converter. By putting an inline filter on you catch the shrapnel before it gets into the pan.

Rat's comment on the hubs is dead on. If it still has the auto hubs on it get rid of them. They were notorious for taking a dump at the worst possible time.

Other than that it should be a dirveway weapon.

Gotta love straight axle K-5's...

8. What's it cost to replace the hubs? I have a B&M Tanny cooler but looks like a pain to install. My tranny would grind at moderate rpm's. It was some valve that crapped out on the guy who had it before me. He never fixed it ( according to AAMCO it toasted the tranny) and it didn't happen when i test drove it. On the way home from buying it, it started happening. The guy paid for 1/2 the cost for the rebuilt so it wasn't so bad. Now around 14k later after a long trip it sometimes dosen't downshift to first.Odd, friend said that it might be the kick down cable or something.
    Oh well i guess i'll find out the hard way. :realmad:

9. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Hubs aren't that tough a job to install. They should come as a set with instructions (at least the GM kit did).

Trans cooler install is a pita but not rocket science and well worth the trouble.

By not downshift to first do you mean while de-accelerating or once you come to a complete stop and go to start off again it seems to hang in second? To see if it isn't shifting down try starting out in manual low and see if there is a difference. Most automotive automatics don't downshift for engine braking anyway. Poor off the line performance may just be the 2.73 gears. If it truly isn't shifting right get it looked at. The pther big problem with 700's was poor shift quality causing them to burn up clutches and generate excess heat.

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

at worse i think the warn premiums are 80$ for the pair and an easy install.

Never mind.......I now see that you have listed a 700. Check or have a mechanic check the tv cable for proper adjustment if you are unsure. A missadjusted TV cable will nuke a 700 in short order!

Also.......how tight is your steering? Inspect the frame around the steering box carefully for cracks especially around the bolts. This is true of all chevys of this era but plow rigs and big tired rigs especially are hard on this area. Its an easy fix but you want to catch it. If its going to be used fairly hevily or you are going to run good sized tires or wheel it hard I would recomend a brace kit from ORD

Got any death wobble?

Dont run loaded in OD, this means towing or with a plow.

Edit: again.....try not to spin your tires......10 bolt gov locks are weak and the spining and catching traction can make em toss thier cookies pretty easily

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  11. I'm the second owner and the last owner only put 52k on it before i bought it. We rebuilt the motor after we noticed the nice gouge in one of the cylinders. Just had 2 of the ball joints done. The wobble went away after the new tires and new joints. I will check for cracks. This truck never had a plow on it, till last year. I don't drive in OD unless I'm on a rode trip flat traveling. I took a bath when i got this truck. I'm no longer friends with the guy who looked it over and said it was OK to buy.......
    lets see
    Used truck $4,000
    new tranny $1,500
    new motor
    including machine shop work $1,300
    new exhaust $300
    new tires $500
    new brakes all around
    2 ball joints incl install $420
    new sheet metal $40
    paint, undercoat, sand, paint $300

Never talking to your so called friend that tried to make good on the heap of **** he said to buy.......priceless

Ahhh live and learn......anyone got any junk for sale...i seem to be a magnet for junk. :realmad:

12. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

I've got more junk than you

:waving: I like em cheap. I'm driving an '83 short box 1/2 ton with 1 ton springs front and back. I paid $125 2 years ago, and since have about $1500 in it including hyd. Fisher 7.5. Pictures soon. Last week I bought a '77 Chevy C65 bucket truck. It was converted from a 427 to an 8.2 Detroit Deisel by PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric) in '89. It weighs 25k lbs! Paid $2000 off of Ebay. Shipping $2000... www.ebaymotors.com #2489068405. Click on the hot link, move the pop up box over and type in the item #, which will be adjacent to my item #.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  13. maurader

maurader Member

I noticed that you changed two of the ball joints but did you check the tie rods? My tie rod broke while driving but luckily it was right after I pulled into my driveway. I think the Blazer has to be one of the best plow vehicles except for the windows fogging which ratlover mentioned. I plowed with two different ones for seven years and never got stuck. I'm currently restoring my 87.
    The first picture is the 86 leaving for good and the second is of the 87.

100_0123 (Medium).JPG

100_0102 (Medium).JPG

14. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I agree on the cooler though 18k is a little over kill and you can cool oil too much in cold weather. 700R4's before 87 were not the greatest in reliablity and 81 through 83's were the worst by far. The good new is if you ever rebuilt one you can easily upgrade it to the lastest specs. Also with that short wheel base I would run at least 500lb of ballast for better tractions pushing and direction control when transporting.