1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing w/ 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ChrisMartin, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ChrisMartin

ChrisMartin Junior Member

I was wondering what you guys would thin about putting a plow on a 95 f150 2 wd. I see plows on jeeps and such...i would think i truck would withstand the punishment better than that. This would all be residential driveways and we dont get much snow at one time so i wouldent be pushing foot high stuff. Thoughts, Experiences?
    Thanks

2. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

a 2wd half ton really would be a good setup at all..

3. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I know that when it snows here it is next to impossible for me to even think about pushing snow in 2wd, and that is with 600 pounds of ballast inside the tailgate. Just some food for thought!

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Would or would not:confused: I dont think it would be a good set up at all, too light of a truck with only having 2wd. I've seen one 2wd out of a bazillion plow trucks that actually worked out.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I know a guy who plowed with a 2wd 3500 flat bed. Put a 1000 pound chunk of concrete on the bed and stayed on flat driveways. He seemed to do ok, but he bought my 4wd 3500 that I sold a couple months ago.

You're going to need ballast in the bed as the plow will lift the front end. Stay off steep inclines and carry a shovel and grit - like salt or sand or something to throw under the rear tires. Have a cell phone to call a wrecker or a friend that can give you a tow.

I've given up trying to convince people not to plow with 2wd. I used to ask if 2wd plowing was such a decent idea, why don't more people do it? 2wd trucks are a lot cheaper to buy and maintain than a 4wd.

Aren't Jeeps 4wd?

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I wouldnt' do it at all, the back end will be WAY too light and the amount of ballast you'd need to get decent traction would be A LOT!

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Oh boy, another one. Sorry its just not going to work. half ton 2wd plow truck. You are going to need a dually and 2 tons of weight to make a 2wd plow work. Trade the truck and get a 4x4. Now I plow in 2wd all the time. But then again my truck weights 16000-17000 loaded. (yea I know very overweight)

8. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

sorry about that.. def would not be a good setup!!!

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

A half is'nt to bad for plowing, but the 2wd is whats gonna hurt you.

10. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

1/2 ton? Ok to plow with if set up properly. 2wd? Not in a 1/2 ton. The amount of ballast you will need to get traction, will inevitably break your truck. Nothing less than 4wd IMO.
    Not on a 1/2 ton. Maybe a 1 ton dually, but not a 1/2 ton.

11. SLLNorth

SLLNorth Member

Could not agree more! Hey Epic, how's the no snow treating ya?

12. lazerslicer

lazerslicer Member

I have a ....

I have a four wheel drive 96 z-71 with a e-60 7.5 meyers on it works great with 500lbs in the back and no turns of the torsion bars, got it in the summer for $600.00 installed and i have now plowed with it for three years and only have replaced the motor.....but two wheel drive i woould say no..

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Its not a good idea, you would need more weight in the back than the truck could handle. Even with really good tires, I can spin the wheels trying to drive up a small incline in 2" of snow without the plow down in 2wd, nevermind with the plow down. There have been big storms where I could not even drive around town without being in 4X4. As Mick said, Jeeps have 4wd so thats why they can plow. It really is necessary.

14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, I'll be the first to ask the question.... What the F* are you thinking? There's a reason distributors are not putting plows on 2wd trucks. If you're going to do this, do it right and not halfa$$ed with a truck that wasn't even remotely intended for plowing. Come on now, and think about these things.

15. Mick

from Maine

I was wondering this earlier today while I was alternating from reading this thread and the manual that came with my new 2500HD - Will a manufacturer (Chevy, Ford or Dodge) even put a plow prep package on a 2wd 1/2 ton?

16. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

No....Just got another plow truck from Ford and the 2007 F-150 4X4 comes with a snow plow prep package however it only comes with the prep package in the extended cab long bed because the extra weight in length is required for ballast plus they reccomend an additional 500 lbs ballast in the bed.

17. Mick

from Maine

SnoFlo, I just noticed in your signature - You have an 8.5' plow on an '07 1/2 ton? 8.5'?

18. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I dont even think you could buy/put a mount on a 2wd half ton. I'm not 100% sure but isn't the front end different on 2wd and 4wd half ton?

19. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the money your gonna spend on a plow you prob buy a 4x4 plow truck used

20. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Send a PM to user RSK, he has a 250 2wd that he uses to plow and he says it does fine, do i believe him absolutly not, he has pics posted inside the white trucks thread in the equipment forum. I personally tink 2wd are made for the people who don't recive anysnow what so ever I personally think they suck in the snow and your better off buying a snow blower and some ramps and driving around like that. Just do some reviewing of past threads and theres been like 4 other people asking the same question, just look at the past threads. Not worth the hassel and major aggrivation of a 2wd, i sometimes have trouble with my 4x4, but hey to each is own!