1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing vehicles

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by itsnowproblem, Sep 2, 2003.

1. itsnowproblem

itsnowproblem Junior Member

I have always plowed with a Jeep Wrangler....
    1st a 1990,auto for 4 years (1989-1993)
    and then a 1989, stick for 2 long years (2001-2002)

I have one commercial lot and still 98% residential driveways....

I now have a Frod F-150, auto, 6600 payload pkg,
    I know this is not intended for a snowplow....
    But I am sure there are plenty oof you using them...
    What problems if any has anyone had? going stock and plowing with this truck?
    how about anyone who made upgrades or modifications to avoid problems...what have you done?
    springs? spring helpers? tranny fluids??? synthetics?
    should I sell and get a F-250?
  2. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Get the F250... I got the Jeep Wrangler S10 1500 Ram and 2500 Ram.

So far the 2500 till now has cost the least to maintain for plowing.

S10 smoked a tranny the first year with a plow on it, 1500 smoked one 2nd year, Jeep is a stick and 2500 is an auto.

Now I have a 2500 ram with a v10 and till they told us to plow in 4low it was eating them like candy.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are looking at an used truck, just be careful when looking at older F250s, their TTB are the most common problems when snowplowing.
  4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The 150 will push fine. It may need help in the front spring dept. .
    What year 150? Is it reg cab short, or ex-cab or long bed ex cab?
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can upgrade the springs all you want.It's the flimsy TTB,or twin traction beam's that won't hold up.Even the F250's have problems,and they have a bigger front end.It will work,how long is a different story.
  6. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Did you stay out of OD?
  7. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

The f150 given that it is gonna be used for what your job base says will work fine I dont disagree with anyone here about the ttb setup however i can only add that one of our most reliable older trucks is a f150 300 6cyl changed the front springs very easy to do and plow with common sense, the weak part on this whole truck is not the truck its the meyer plow hangin off the front . We also have a 86 f250 that once again has been very dependable i hate getting rid of these old trucks they were our first trucks we started the buss with and to get rid of them would be like selling one of the kids has long has we use them and dont abuse them the seem to be like the energizer bunny they keep going ad going.

regards fred
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't think it makes a difference.The pressures in D or OD should be the same in the lower forward gears.I've always plowed in OD,too lazy to turn it off,as there is no need to.

You should have to plow in low range to make a tranny live.There has to be another problem.
  9. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

They blamed that on the first one, but after my recent expensive education I have just received on rear ends, transfer cases, and tranny's, OD does not have any affect on a tranny going out by plowing snow.

The 1st gear clutch packs bands and/or skegs are what goes out.

The V10 has to much power for the tranny behind it even with the even heavier clutch packs and bands. Dodge does this on purpose to keep their dealers shops busy.

Plus my V8 360 has never had the OD turned off, and the tranny skegs went out in it when the rear end blew apart.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2003
  10. itsnowproblem

snow god father.... on the jeep with a stick...any clutch problems??
    My jeep with the stick blew the clutch after the second storm of course I dont know how old the clutch was but after plowing with the auto and having no problems I got afraid it was the clutch (or how I drove it ) and got the ford f-150 for my remodeling business and still would like to plow......
  11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Going to find out this winter, and it does have a new HD clutch in it. Slave cyliner blew out, hence new clutch.
  12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Snow god father, Ill give you a quick rundown of the Dodge trans thats in your V10. If that trans is properly set up your V10 cant even begin to approach the power limit of that transmission.I agree there is something wrong. Im not sure if your getting them get too hot(3.54 gears,lots of tight areas).or if its a clutch application issue(applying to slowly),or low line pressures/leaks.. I have the same trans in my Ram,my truck has 2-3 X the rear wheel hp,and 4x the torque of the V10.I have never blown my transmission from plowing or hurt the parts you mentioned.( i have sheered both the intermediate shaft and output shaft testing though) .That clutch you are blowing reliably holds 800 RWHP in our Dodges My guess is you have an internal seal leak,or the drivers are being real rough on the truck.I have the stock,original sprag(the one you blew out),and stock rear clutches(they are for 1st gear),and I launch my truck at 30psi of boost)which is 300RWHP,and 650 ft lbs of torque,at the wheels,your truck would be lucky to lay down240hp/ 400 fts . How does the trans engage when you go into forward/reverse is is smooth or does it go in quickly and with a slight bang.One other thing,Id like to know your line pressures,if they are too low,your V10 will be able to overpower it.If you have time,get the line pressure at idle,and wide open.The plug is on the pass sideo f the trans case about 1/2 way back the main case section,it is on a small bump in the case in the middle,there is a big bump in the front,you dont want that one,and one at the rear of the main case(not that one either.
  13. itsnowproblem

vehicles..jeep clutch

S G F....my slave cylinder melted.... yes it really melted my clutch got so hot and then it finally lost al the fluid and I was stuck in gear. I drove home in second and when I got home realized that I still had to do my driveway so I turned off the car and put it in 1st then plowed up ...shut off the car put it in reverse started it in gear and backed out. and so on and so on until I could get the other cars out of my drive. so now I sold that jeep and have a f-150 but I am thinking of finding a jeep with an automatic since eveyone says the f-150 is 'weak' I NEVER had a problem while plowing with my 1990 jeep wrangler auto, except for a hose to the plow unit
  14. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

John, that was all done by the dealer under warrenty. Truck now has well over 100k miles on it. Same guy was doing the plowing, he is carefull in shifting directions.

Funny though, this is the same tranny that goes in the half ton too, just heavier clutch packs when going to 3/4ton.

BTW John, there are 2 Rams in there one with the V10 had problems, and I am pissed about the other ram v8. All cause the dealer installed the carier bearing incorrectly.
  15. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

plowing with an f150

I plow with a 1989 F150, and so far, no plowing related problems. Just about everything else - motor included - on the truck, however, has needed to be replaced. I chalk that up to the truck just being old and worn out when I bought it.

I run a Western 7.5-foot pro plow, which necessitated the addition of those rubber suspension helper gizmos. My truck had them front and back when I bought it. It seems to hold the plow quite well and front sag with the plow up is minimal.

After my slave cylinder blew up, the shop also replaced my one-year-old clutch. They said it was shot. I guess a clutch a year is the cost of doing business, and from what I hear, cheaper than replacing an automatic transmission.

We also had a brutal winter here. I went out more than 20 times last winter.
  16. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I use to think having a stick is much better then automatic trans, well the thruth is cluthes wear out pretty fast especially if you are plowing with them.When my clutch needed replacing in my 96 ranger that I had it cost me over $800.00.I had it replaced after 5 years.I usually average about 10 thou a year on mileage.

I prefer automatic trans now, it gets to be a pain in the ass shifting all the time especiallly when you live in congested area.