1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing unfrozen driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KSB, Dec 26, 2011.

1. KSB

KSB Member

Never had this problem in Vermont before but with the weather changes it seems we are getting plowable snow on top of unfrozen dirt and mud. Both my fischer and boss plows are almost worthless under these conditions. Thinking of trying to design a system that would work better under these conditions. Anyone have any ideas? Rubber cutting edges? Modified plow shoe design? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:help:
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I know it might take longer but it might be better to back drag it. This way your cutting edge isn't gouging into the soil. That or just try to keep the blade up a few inches if it's deep. Then back drag.
  3. QuickPlow

QuickPlow Junior Member

I've heard of guys running some type of pvc ( i think) pipe On the cutting edges for unfrozen drives. Try doing a search. They even had pictures on how to install it on the cutting edge. I think anyways. Good Luck
  4. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

white shoes mad e in the beautifull state of nh look them up online
  5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

back drag, it's not the plow......
  6. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

im telling u look up white shoes made by whyes welding tamworth nh pretty slick setup
  7. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

whytes welding
  8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Threads were about plowing gravel drives. I think they used a galvanized iron pipe. Cut a groove wide enough so blade will fit in grove and use bolts through the pipe to hold pipe over blade. Pipe kept blade from digging into gravel. Had nothing to do with unfrozen ground.
  9. QuickPlow

QuickPlow Junior Member

OK. Might still work though. Sure beats back dragging everything.
  10. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

do a search on sod pipe. Simple but brilliant idea. I might work on making one in the next week or so.
  11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Has everything to do with unfrozen ground. Lot of drives around here are dirt drives, and when the ground isnt froze, the cutting edge digs in making a mess. The pipe over the cutting prevents this.
  12. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

Found the company online but no website or info on the shoes. Can you provide a link or elaborate on what the set up consists of.
    Thanks ,