1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing under the weather!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Jan 6, 2010.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Is there anything worse than plowing when your sick?
  2. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

It's not fun!!! thats for sure, Just did it this past weekend.... Hope i don't have to again!!!
  3. lawn king

I started getting sick just before the 2 day storm over last weekend.

STRONGARM Senior Member

Oh the joy's of working for your self!!!!!! I do everthing I can to avoid being sick.....:drinkup:
  5. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

being hungover as all hell after a long night of drinking
  6. mud

mud Senior Member

Done the sick thing. It sucks. The hangover thing is worse though. I don't drink when there is snow in the forecast anymore.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Only thing that could be worse is having the sh*ts while plowing......
    as for being hungover.....why would you even get drunk the night before a storm????
  8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Stupidity???? :laughing:

I stack hay all summer (with a bale wagon) and this year I stacked every day while I had Swine Flu. 10-14 hour days every day, I felt like crap.
    I kept loosing track of what I was doing, almost put the wagon in the ditch a few times.
  9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

year ago, i must have had food poisoning, I would plow for about 20 minutes, open the truck door and toss cookies.
    a good solid 8 hours of that.
    I was totally dehydrated
    finally we got hte storm mostly under control and I asked my boss "we're almost done can I go home?"
    and he starts hemming and hawing and well, I dunno

so I dry heaved right there.:eek:

I got to go home.

yes, plowing while sick sucks
  10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Your what???

Not plowing while you're sick. :alien: payup
  11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

lol, this thread reminds me of a great story (why we never trust the weather man) We were at last clash bash (university end of year party) and it was sunny and +22 celsius in april, forecast said a chance of a light shower the next day, so i am thinking to myself, "i can go out, not going to do any landscaping or lawn maintenance tomorrow, its going to rain" so i go out and get completely hammered (which i don't normally do), wake up in a hotel room, packed with a bunch of people, and i don't really know why, i go outside, and there is 2 feet of snow EVERYWHERE!!! turns out, i was drunk out of my mind (honestly doesn't happen very often) and apparently, went outside to my truck because i was done and going to sleep it off, well in that time, it started to snow, a sh!t load and they closed all the roads down, and the temp dropped to -20 celsius, some friends of mine knew i was in the truck, and carried me to the hotel room, that a bunch of people had agreed to stay in (couldn't get home with hiways and main roads shut down). had to go out and shovel, (talked a couple other hungover guys to help) i have never hurt so and yet had so much fun doing snowremoval in my life
  12. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

the guy asked if there was anything worse then being sick plowing so i said being hungover buckwheat explained it sh*t happens
  13. Premier

Premier Senior Member

been there done that, i would rather have to toss cookie than have the $h!t's you can vomit just about anywhere.
  14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I've plowed while having pneumonia(didn't know it at the time). I couldn't talk cause my throat hurt so bad, had a fever of a 103. Two day storm had almost 43 hrs with no sleep. I finally went to the doctor a day later and thats when I find out i had pneumonia. The thing is I would have done it anyway. When you are self employed you work when you are sick, unless your employees can handle it without you. But the way i am, I have to be there. Its a control thing.
  15. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Been there done that. The S**ts are definately the worst though. Had an account out in the boonies and had too go soooooooo bad (if you know what I mean) I went behind the dumpster (it was 3am, and I always carry TP) :laughing::laughing: Gotta do what you gotta do.
  16. lawn king

Hours & hours of defrost blowing in your face when your throat is sore and your nose is running like a river, sucks bad!
  17. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

When I have run myself ragged with long hours and no/little sleep, I get the chills uncontrollably and sit there shivering and teeth chattering trying to concentrate as I am driving. ugh. I feel sick just thinking about feeling that terrible. I'm glad this winter has been easier on me.
  18. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

went out to plow last year one night during a big storm, tossed cookies in my driveway before i even hit the key in the truck, you know you're in for a long night. then monday night i helped a buddy do his shoveling at 3 strip malls because he's got pneumonia
  19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bringing your wife along while your sick.
  20. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Been their done that, ended up in the hospital for 4 days. You know your sick when your employees are calling you on site from the other lots on the same site, asking if you give up yet and want to go to the hospital.