1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing under the front parked semi trailers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ipushsnow, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Bidding on a large trucking company, one thing they complained about is getting the tractors under the trailers after a snowfall. Even if plow is angled in opposite direction it leaves a little berm, then with the snow that is already under there they are having a hard time hooking up and getting out. Any one used/heard/or know of a good solution?

2. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

tela handler with a blade, bunch of people u don't like with shovels or sling a heavy dose of calcium chloride pellets under them. I have the same issue and I am using the chloride method... Can't get the people i don't like to shovel for me

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Use a rear plow with a wings on it or a custom tractor 3pt blade like JD has.

4. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

trailers

there is a nice u tube video by jerresservice cleaning under trailers with a backplow with x tra long hydro wings seems to work nice.

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

we use skid loaders with pushers to ride up under trailer fronts as close as possible..works good at my location, spotters rarely complain.... you make it sound like your OK with how far under you get just not with leaving any trail...would a wing on the end of the plow help control your runoff?

7. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

That's a tough one with just a plow. I had an emergency call last year from a customer with a non-customer with a bunch of trucks unable to get hooked up.. did the best I could than nailed it with lots of salt.. Looked real nice and worked well.

Oh.. and I never got paid. So much for helping someone out.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the time you can back drag the snow out then salt it.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Make your first pass about 3 feet away from the trailers
    then push as near the trailers as you can.
    the snow then will go away from it (into the spot you just vacated on pass #1)

it won't leave the berm.

But you have to give it somewhere to go.

same way you plow up against sidewalks.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

This is how we handle the semi lot we do.....it's such a maze that it would be a PITA to do it all with just a truck......wings would definitely help you though, being able to reach up under farther & carry a little bit of snow......Obviously if you have the $, go for the swing wingwesport....that would be sweet!

11. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Nothing fancy here, just normal dog-leg with the v-blades works well enough to get remove the windrows, of course thats making sure you dog tail the windrow before it gets under the trailer to begin with. Then just make sure to get a decent amount of snow under the trailer.

I'm sure what others have shown work much better for getting the snow out, we've never had a problem with what we do. think once you get remove the windrow from the front of a trailer, most spotters don't have a problem getting in.

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

We plowed a CCX terminal for a few years and all we did was back drag, as far as we could, underneath the nose of the trailer. My brother in law worked for CCX at the time and he said that no one ever complained about our plow job. They liked not having windrows under the trailers or heavy accumulations under the king pin. Made their jobs much easier.

14. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I made up a hydro wing for our loader box plow. It folds out about 10 feet. Works great. Only problem with it is that its heavy and can be kinda clumsy untill you get the hang of it.

15. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

that is an excellent post...i try to explain that to my guys and subs but they forget and end up having to clean up the edges of the walks..they don't get the snow won't roll off the plow fast enough if you don't

16. procut

procut Senior Member

I almost got in a fist fight with a driver over snow not cleared from under a trailer one time...

17. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

i do a bnsf rail yard and offset the box pusher on the bucket of the machine. works good. no complaints. the rear extendable plow is a quicker and faster wasy it seems.

18. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have tractors wth 3pt rear blades. I can offset them to go under a trailer. Works pretty well.

J.

19. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

There was a thread on here that had a plow that was made to go on a tractor that cleaned under trailers, it was pretty neat. Don't know where it was

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We use 14 ft low profile pushers on narrow tractors and they work quite well. You need to plow the snow in front of the trailers first and then come back with an empty blade so you don't leave any ridges. We also use this rear blade and we have some bladed that go on our loaders that can back drag about 6-7 ft under a trailer.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/JDDave/DSCN3163.flv">

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/JDDave/DSCN3165.flv">