1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing two way gravel road, beginners questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scandinavian, Nov 14, 2007.

1. hi all!
    thanks for having this forum :)

intro: snow plowing in sweden (where i live) is done by sub contractors for the raod & transportation authorities.
    where i live, the drivers are getting old, and younger people (<50 years) seem hard to motivate to the job: long shifts, night shifts, well you know how it is).

i have the loose idea of getting into the business and now i'm trying to get an idea what amount of money i have to invest.

a little info what i'm facing: we have mostly gravel roads up here, not in good shape, but well frozen in the winter. pretty much snow at times, 20 inches a day has happened, 5 to 10 inches on a snowy day i'd call normal. the snow is mostly dry and light, but heavy and wet in the beginning of the winter. i'm thinking of plowing around 40 to 50 miles a day (unsure).
    important: usually the snow does not melt away during the winter, so what i through to the side of the road piles up more and more, and then must be thrown on top of it (with a side plow??).
    temperatures range down to 25 degrees centigrade (-13 deg F).

the complete rigged and loaded truck may not weigh more than 7,49 tons total (8.27 US tons) due to my drivers license restrictions.

oh, BTW, diesel costs a fortune over here! $7.20/gallon :eek:

people here usually drive BIG six wheeled trucks, with super heavy equipment. that makes the whole work very expensive. i'd like to offer better prices by using lighter equipment, better mileage, if it's possible and reasonable. or should i consider not doing it for too much wear on lighter equipment? or is it simply stupid to think this might work?

1. is there a chance getting the needed equipment under 7.5 tons of total weight?
    1.1 is it a good idea doing that?
    2. what truck size do you recommend?
    3. any other ideas and hints are highly appreciated :)

thank you soooo much in andvance!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The first thing that comes to my mind is that if something is done a certain way, there must be a reason. I think you hit on it - your area simply gets too much snow to do with a 3/4 or one ton truck, like we do. If you can legally compete with those guys by having a commercial snowplowing company, then what might be better for the trucks you'll get would be a front-mounted snowblower. With a blower, you could handle deeper snow and blow it up and over any snowbank. Plowing 8-10" at a time is going to put a strain on anything under a 5500 sized truck. You might also want to put a side wing on it. But I really think with that much snow, you'll be better with a truck mounted blower.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I completely agree with Mick. Only thing I would add is with the blower your road speed will not be very high. Not sure how far you could travel in a days time with a blower? Just my thoughts.
  4. thank you!

thank you so much mick and hydro for your answers :)
    having slept over it, you are completely right: maybe they do have a point in using the big iron...

gotta think about taking that truck license wesport

greetings from over here