1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ridinginstyle, Oct 29, 2010.

1. ridinginstyle

ridinginstyle Junior Member

What is a good set of tires to plow with? My buddy said to go studded.... since traction is everything.

06 F-250

2. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

No studs! I know they are allowed out east, but they gain traction by damaging the road surface.

The right tire depends on a lot of things. You want something with a lot of "biting edges", something that is reasonably narrow, lots of siping, and probably an E load rating for plowing. I run E rated 35x10.50R16 mud terrains with "custom" siping done by a local 4x4 shop. The tires are called Pinnacle Grizzly Grips. You'll probably never find a set unless your tire guy is connected tho! Haha, not sure where my guy dug em up. Just awesome tires. I think Hankook makes a similar tire tho. A little easier to find too. The RT03 I think.

Here's a few pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check this thread out...Good reading.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=87777&highlight=tires

3. ridinginstyle

Awsome input, What is siping btw? Also how is your dually in the snow always wondered that. Those tires look really good btw im gonna do some research on those..

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Siping are the little thin lines in the tread which allows the tread to grip the road in wet and slippery conditions. It is the edge of the tread that grabs in those conditions so siping makes more edges- Here's a link to a Blizzak car tire to see what I mean. Here's a dry image.

I run Toyo Open Countries- plow great and are all season. Used to run dedicated snow tires- loved 'Goodyear workhorse extra grip'- most plow guys in the area ran them then but they are soft compound (better for wet/cold traction) so they are seasonal use only (burned up a set in one summer when I couldn't afford new regular tires).

Definitely skip studs- when you spin the wheels the studs damage pavement. Good tires and some weight in the bed work 90% of the time- and a set of chains will cover the remainder.

I think the perfect tire would be something with the siping of a Blizzack but in load range E... I know they are made in the suitable sizes for 1/2 tonners...

5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Siping is small cuts about 2 to 3/32cnds deep made with a tire groving machine or handheld heated knife. It's a great trick for getting the most out of your tires. Some people think its crazy to cut brand new tires you just spent 150 bucks a piece on. But I've gotten more miles and use out of every tire I have siped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dually is great in the snow with ballast in the back. This is first pass through half a season of snow accumulation in Northern MN. Hardley even slowed me down. I'm a picture wh@re....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. ridinginstyle

hey thanks for the information, great to know. Your dually looks great man. I was thinking of getting one, some people said they are bad in deep snow. although i dont see anyreason if you plowing through it haha.

7. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I wouldn't plow with anything but studded !!!!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, what a great idea for a thread!

I recommend round tubeless pneumatic tires.

9. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I don't know. The square/Cube...ular tubeless pneumatic tires work pretty well too?

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Only on stairs.

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

But plowing stairs is where the real money is it. Didn't you know?

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Shhh.......

Don't let the secret out.

13. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

When plowing up stairs, do you leave it in float like when going down? I'm just wondering because I picked up a new stair rig for this season. Oh, and how much do you guys charge for stairs? By the square foot?

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Chain lift is a must for plowing stairs.

Charge by the step. Duh...:dizzy:payup:D

15. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

My first year I had Toyo Open Country M/T's. They worked well. I've been running Hankooks ever since and have found them to be very sure footed. The oversize lugs clear quickly and don't get packed like the all season tires.

Please note: I've never plowed with all season, just going from the experience in my car. I've never run studs other than back in the 80's when I had a set of studded tires on my car. .

16. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

I love this site I always learn something new. Good question about tires, I use to be a tire builder for Goodyear (Good for a year) as we would call them. I lean strongly toward BFG All terrain. Since Michelin bought them they made a good tire Better. Similar to Siping they use the K/O design. Which means Knock Out. When the tire flexes it spreads apart and helps throw the mud and snow out. I have to admit its hard to pay so much for the that tire brand. I have looked at others but Michelin keeps the road noise down even though its an aggressive tire. Im running Yokohamas also and I like the cost. Good luck.

17. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Trip blade or trip edge?

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

personally never plowed with BFT AT's, but had horrible experiences with them in the past in daily driving and off roading.

FWIW Siping refers to the spaces/cuts but not specifically to hand cut grooves the molded in ones are still called siping.

19. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

You guys talking about plowing stairs are clowns! The guy is asking about plow tires.
    Besides everyone knows the best way to plow stairs is to use a torch and cut a series of V notches into a straight blade plow. Then with one quick swipe.........you're done!
    There is a little learning curve and your torch skills will come in handy replacing the iron rails in the spring, but hey time is money payup

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

All yours 2COR.