1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing this post office.. need some ideas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TPCLandscaping, Dec 4, 2015.

1. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

So i think I'm going to have this post office to plow. So i've been plowing commercial lots for a while but this place has me stumped!
    The lobby is open 24hrs which thats not a problem to deal with the walk ways. The main problem is the first truck arrives at 3am, all the delivery vehicles take up all the parking spots and one row is double parked. There is no place to land the snow.
    My thoughts are:
    Skidstreer with large snow bucket along with a truck and large dump trailer to stack snow in as we plow. I'd also have a snow blower attachment for the skid steer.

My other thought is still to have the snow loaded out, but maybe getting a couple of the parking spots opened up so we could stack snow there, then have my friend come over with his Cat 904 to load out the pile
    I'd park just my small Massey Sub compact down there with 6' pusher and 51" blower to move the snow around. I just don't know if that would be big enough to keep up with it if we get a bad storm

3rd option, i just pay my buddy with the 904 to deal with the place… and I sleep good at night.

Here is a map of the site
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Looks like they loose parking spots as you plow and you haul it when asked... but....

What does your contract say and what do they want? A post office is gonna have extra employees during the holiday season and will be about back to normal by mid January.

I'm thinking you are way over thinking - it boils down to what you agreed to do.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sneak in during the night then come back and plow the rest. Are you set up for taking credit cards? PO is going that way with all its vendors.
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You should have a company meeting at The Naked Turtle and discuss it with your team...

Clear out what you can hit it with salt before 3 am and let the truck/traffic do the rest.
  5. TPCLandscaping

Ha we would be lonely at the turtle, closed for the season. I agree with you guys I'm over thinking it. They want the snow removed each time. This post office got taken over by SMS, property management company. I told them the only way I'd do it is to have a seasonal price paid once a month.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Overly thinking.... I don't think ur thinking the right way at all.

When does snow season start?

Why don't they have someone lined already?

U know the details of the contract already, stay in bed and not worry about is the right thing to do.
  7. TPCLandscaping

Snow season started a month ago...I've been set up with my other accounts. This just got thrown at me with one of those "whatever it costs" lines. I'm not new to this. Just thus place seems to have me baffled. All my commercial places are handled with trucks and a loader once in a while if we need to push banks back. They are calling me as a last resort because no one wants to take care of it
  8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Seems to me they are asking to have it removed all the time. So show up with a skid loader and a dump truck and load up the snow and take it away. Loader Price + Dump Truck Price = Price per push.
  9. Tylerlawncare

Tylerlawncare Member

Did you work for SMS? If show how was working for them? I'm doing a PO for them in my town.
  10. TPCLandscaping

I've never had any issues with them. Been 4 years now. Keep up on your IVR'S and you should see checks within 45 days.

I ended up taking on the post office myself. Got my subcompact Massey there with a snow blower on the back and a 6' pusher on the front. My friend will load out at night once we stack it.
  11. Tylerlawncare

Tylerlawncare Member

do you use the app for smart phones? all u do ins do that before and after and then send right?
  12. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Use the blower and blow it all to the roof, they will never know.. Thumbs Up
  13. TPCLandscaping

Or over the fence to the neighbors lol
  14. TPCLandscaping

I did a couple times, it works pretty well
  15. Jerryjks

Jerryjks Junior Member

Are you doing this Post Office? The people who were doing it last year for SMS supposedly got banged for $5000. Before SMS, they had Miller St. since the 1980's. I did the Processing center on Veterans Lane since 1992. Last year when SMS took over they called me and I listened to what they had to say and I told them they had to find somebody who was desperate for work.

Yes, the snow on Miller st. has to be removed within 24hrs. At least it used to be that way!
  16. TPCLandscaping

Yeah I'm taking care of it. Got everything all set up pretty well and got them to pay a decent monthly contract. I talk to lake Champlain pools about it. They said they got stiffed on the hauling side. I figured everything in. Am I nervous yes, but after 4 years I've never been stiffed by SMS
  17. Jerryjks

Jerryjks Junior Member

Good for you! Hope it works out! I see your truck around. I'm sure we know a lot of the same people! I own Cumberland Corner's Self-storage on Rt 9 and own JKS Enterprise too.
  18. TPCLandscaping

I'm pretty sure I've had a beer or two with your son at Picards lol