1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing techniques anyone?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by D_Yurik, Nov 5, 2008.

1. D_Yurik

D_Yurik Junior Member

Ive been plowing for a little over a year, got started towards the end of 07 and plowed during 08. Everything was residential. I signed on with a company to do smaller lots near my house. I get the whole windrow idea, but does anyone else care to share some other techniques and how they go about doing them? Thanks

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

there are hours and hours worth of vids on this site you could watch, that would probably help ya out.

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

entrances, entrances, entrances...always clean them up first. your customer will love you for it, specially if they are 24-hours and if they're not, still clean them up first so that you're not out in the street playing around as traffic picks up.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

In most cases, push away from the building. If its a busy place, I will always do the front by the doors, and the entry/exit ways first. I "try" to push to a low spot on the lot to reduce having water from the melting pile draining down the lot. Watch out for stupid people.

You will probably like doing lots much more than driveways...you can push forward much more.

Get wings to do things more efficiently. When I didn't have wings and it was busy, I felt like I couldn't move enough snow in time.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Push it as far back as you can on the firts snows. The piles will build up faster then you think.
    Once you push it back......push it back farther.....lol

6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

don't just watch the snow roll off the plow........remember to stop at the end of the row!!

ALWAYS, keep a lid on your drink.:D

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

ALWAYS, keep a lid on your drink.

speaking from experience mike?...lol

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Like hydro said only push it back more

9. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

One way to loose accounts....plow in their dumpsters. That gets people pissed off REAL bad. I have picked up more accounts because of the dummies before me plowing the dumpster in. Before I head home I always try to check my business account driveway entrances to see if the city plow jokers piled snow waist high in front. If they did, I clear it out right away, Can't tell you how much free coffee and cokes have come my way when doing this. "Under promise-Over produce!"

10. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Make drawings or take digital pics and print them out before the snow comes. Once everything is buried in snow it's easy to forget where curbs and stuff are. I made up books with satellite images to show the areas that need plowed ,but it's a good idea to visit them as well to get a feel of where things are. Others have great advice ,one thing I would ad is, if the lot you are doing is long you may want to cut it in half. Pushing 2-300 feet all on way will build up really big and will be tougher to get it clean. On my big wide open lots I'll cut them in half and plow them like 2 different lots pushing them in opposite directions.

11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Always wear your seatbelt. It will prevent your head from bouncing off your windshield if you clip something under the snow.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a man speaking from expeirence and yes he is correct.

13. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

always pay attention to your surroundings, especially at condos;people have a tendency to walk right up to your window.

14. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Like other have said, look at, photograph & google earth your sites and plan your stratagies before the snow comes. You will thank yourself later. Make your piles strategically, keep high traffic areas clean, keep up with the storm, don't overwork yourself or your truck, be smart, be safe and have fun!!

15. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Slow and steady wins the race! when your in a hurry you start braking things, come to a stop before you shift to reverse and stuff like that...

16. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Experience? YES..........it was a square grate at the lowest part of the lot (of course) and the pavement had sunk about 2-3"........we had about 10" on the ground and it was quiet and peaceful down, back, down, back, down........WHAM, EVERYTHING in the truck moved, salt, shovel, blower, me and some how it hit eject mode on the cup holder and mountain dew went EVERYWHERE, really.

Now I put a orange cone on it to remind me!!:rolleyes:

17. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=43768&highlight=pics+video

here is like 30 min of us plowing, the middle is the best ;)

18. capnsac

capnsac Member

That right there sir, is funny!

19. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

try 2 plow at night safer for all 1:00 6:00 is the best time for me very little traffic

20. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

dont hit garage doors.