1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing technique

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gc3, Apr 27, 2013.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

The last snow storm I was helping a different crew plow a 6 acre lot. We had to push all the snow about 200 feet. We all had trails when we got to the pile but I was going back over the trail I made so the section I was working on was clean as I kept moving over. I noticed another guy was leaving all his trails as he kept moving over & it looked like crap. I was just wondering if most of you guys would clean your trails as you went along or would you leave them till later then go back over all of them? Thanks
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I think it depends on what you are plowing with, and the service level requested by the customer.

I would prefer to plow a 6 acre lot with some sort of loader, be it skid, hoe, or rubber tire. this would minimize thos trails to begin with.
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

If I absolutely had to use a truck, I'd take the trails best I can. I have all straight blades, makes it a little more difficult. I guess thats why I don't do huge lots.
  4. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

up until jan of this year I was plowing with a straight blade and would take care of the trails after I was done. that was small parking lots.

I now have a v blade so I have less trails.

if doing a large lot with a truck I'd take care of trails as I move from one side to the other. or in any situation where there would be a chance I would accidentally drive over the trail and compact. I want to move as much snow as possible before it gets driven on.

never leave trails though. they freeze and cause major hazards.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on how much snow and what type, wind, drifting, etc. If it's a messy storm, take big scoops and knock it down. Then go back over it to clean it up.

Nice light storm of powder, nice and neat first pass
  6. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the snow, the timing, and the size of trails. Sometimes if there is light traffic coming into the lot, it's best to clean as you go so it's not getting drove over or parked on. Sometimes it's easier to push as much as possible, then go 90 degrees, and windrow the trails. Other times it's still quicker to push the bulk leaving trails, then push the trails in the same direction. It's all judgement, and experience.

It also depends on the equipment and operators you have too. I've seen times in a spot like this where you may have two trucks pushing the length of the lot, and another scooting across and windrowing at 90 degrees to the others. But I wouldn't make a habit of that unless you have good, observant drivers with good timing.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the secret,I shouldn't tell,but no one is here right now. Since your plowing with 2 trucks do this. 1st truck goes and starts plowing ,full bites. The 2nd truck follows a few passes later and takes smaller bites to clean up the mess.We did this for years and it worked great.
  8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Woah! Woah! Woah! Why are you giving out inside information???? :laughing:
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

that's because all the guys who lowballed are out of business and the new chop in the fall won't see this.:D
  10. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

This is how I do it for deep snow, but this is a bad idea if it's a heavy/wet snow and the temperature has dropped-since anything you drive over can become a sheet of ice that you can't move. If it's fluffy snow, or the temperature isn't too cold, you will save a lot of passes by using this technique.
  11. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I have always been the type to keep it clean %100 for the entire storm. Never leaving trails but then again what does it matter if its snowing 2-3" an hour. Everyone I plow with leaves a mess until the end of the storm anyways...
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Two straight plows = 1 big vplow. Clean it up after you push the bulk of it together ....
  13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

This was a empty lot with about 6 inches of fluffy snow and it was done snowing already. Sometimes we get a loader later on but this time it was just 3 trucks. It might have seemed faster to just keep moving over and pushing the bulk out of the way. I guess you'd still spend the same amount of time if you had a guy going back and picking up the trails.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good point. Another trick I learned when it's real heavy and you are just knocking the bulk out is to take some weight off the blade. Saves cutting edge wear and the extra weight on the tires helps keep you from getting pulled sideways by the blade angle.
  15. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

What he said.
  16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If your making some windrows for a loader to come by later to move, how wide do you guys usually make them? What if its a box plow on a skidloader? Last year we had the loader and he moved everything no matter how wide they were.This winter we had the box plow on a skidloader and that guy didn't want any windrows wider than 6 feet. Is that normal or was he just being to picky? Thanks
  17. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

The box plow he was using was 12 feet long
  18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You got 2 trucks, do radis plowing. Both right angle, keep your sweet spot pushing snow to the right with no spill to the left. The 2nd truck follows you, also right angled. You plow 2plow lenghts without trailers. Turn off at the end of the push, go around and start push again. Always going forward and moving / sweeping snow to the right. Get too big a wall to sweep, go into bull doser mode. Slightly angle and push forward. Both trucks try to stay side by side. Move much snow.
  19. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Any chance you have a pic of this technique?
    Or can stage a pic? thanks

I've tried what I'm assuming is the same thing without much success. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  20. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

both trucks next to each other, think of each plow as a wing of a v plow. drive forward together, and it will make a 16, 18, 20' v plow.