1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Technique

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tonylillo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

Here is a realy stupid question, when plowing, naturally you would use 4 wheel drive, but do you turn overdrive off. If it is left on will it create a problem with the trans overheating.

I know, stupid question, but i was wondering if the seasoned veterans could lend a hand?

Thanks, Tony
  2. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I always plow with overdrive off. I don't know for shure if it makes much difference, but my mechanic said to keep it off.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I try not to use 4wd. I was once told that 4wd only helps get you into situations you can't get out of, nice to save it as a backup plan.
  4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

As "longae29" Said I do the same really usually plow in 2wd Because my truck can handle most situations in 2wd. But if its struggling i'll stop, jump on lock the hubs and go in 4wd. It really depends on the situation! Never in OVer drive though
    That is when im in the 4500-Kodiak

In the pickups its always 4wd Never OD though again.
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Most vehicles will not go into OD until about 40-45mph. So unless you are plowing that fast your truck will not go into OD, so doesn't matter if you turn it on or off.

Like the other said, I do most my plowing in 2wd, and save 4wd for when I have a brain fart. :laughing:
  6. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

My mechanic friend also says not to plow in OD, though I agree w/ Kimber that it shouldn't be a factor. The 2wd/4wd debate has a lot to do with conditions. Here in northern New England we get a lot of heavy snow and there everything is on a hill so 4wd is a must.
  7. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I know that in my 2009 F250, I have a tow/haul mode which also changes shift points. I really almost never get out of maybe 2nd gear, but it does allow some more RPM for the little gas motor to build up some power.
  8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Turn off traction control
  9. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

i put enough wait in the bed to not run in 4wd and usually plow in 1st gear so overdrive is not an option
  10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I plow 1st gear, 4 hi. The idea is to not let the trans shift. Its my understanding that the heat comes from lots of shifting (friction). I have been told by a transmission (rebuilder) friend of mine that if you are going to plow in D or OD, to make sure your in low range. To me that would just keep the temps up, but you are getting the torque you need to push the snow. Maybe he says that just to create more business :confused:
  11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I build more trans heat towing my tractor around then I ever would plowing, even heavy snow and given the speeds you're plowing at and as long as your not slamming between P-R-D on pushes, you should be fine just putting it in drive and plowing some snow.
  12. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I think you want to be out of OD when traveling w/ a plow on!
  13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

When I'm plowing I go in 4wd, traction control off, limited slip differential on and the Tow/Haul on.
  14. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

Great advice here

Thank you to all who responded, great help for the the people who know the business. The web page has been sent from heaven.

Tony Lillo
  15. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

Dont mean to hijack but how do you turn a limited slip on and off? Did you mean "locking" diff?
  16. mercer_me

In the Tundra there is a button that shuts off the limited slip and locks the differential. So all four tires are spinning when I do that.
  17. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

I have a 2007 dodge, can take it out of OD but unable to do anything else
  18. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

Cool. Didnt know tundras had locking diffs.
  19. mercer_me

Ya, it's a realy nice feature.