1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing taxable in NYS?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by lumps, Nov 3, 2008.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Do you have to charge sales tax on plowing in NYS?

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

yup everything in y ny is taxable, if you live here you should know that

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

if they pay you with a check your probably should. :D

4. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure, since there are some services you don't have to pay sales tax on. And yes, I know that you pay income tax on all of it, gotta love it!

5. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

You dont pay on capital improvements but you do on Plowing...........

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If anything if you don't charge tax people look at you funny like.

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

if you're doing residential, have your customers pay cash and never show an invoice on your books, then you dont have to charge sales tax. if not, then yes, tax on plowing, salting, sidewalk shoveling, snow removal, the works.

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

When I deliver horse manure---it's TAXABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Welcome to NY-----matter of fact,I just remembered something from this Summer---it wasn't manure,it was my screened topsoil with manure in it---I brought 12 yards to Carl McCall---X comptroller for the state of NY.I was wondering if he was going to say the stupid thing that app. a third of my topsoil clients give me--''There's tax on dirt?''---Well,he didn't--seemed impressed that the .08125 tax was on my invoice and he paid it.He seems like a nice guy.

9. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

Often times people quote a price and include it. I add it on top of the price and about 1 in 10 ask why I add tax. Duh?!?!

10. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

All of our prepay contracts have an amount ($250 + Sales Tax) for example. 99% of the time we will only get checks for the $250, then the girls have to invoice them for the sales tax..

Apparently there is a law in NY that sales tax cannot be quoted as "included in the price". It always has to be added on top of the service cost. :dizzy:

11. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Whoops if that is true Quality then I better change that this year!

12. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

That's pretty crazy, we can't tax for selling someone a service out here. I did grow up in Westchester, NY tho, so I can't really be to surprised :)

13. evertonyardcare

evertonyardcare Junior Member
    from ny

Yes snowplowing is taxable in NYS:redbounce:redbounce