1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing, suspension upgrade necessary?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theIceNSnowman, Dec 4, 2012.

1. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

I am not new to the plowing world, however I am new to the full size rig sector. I had a small driveway compact truck with a poly plow that did me well for years. I upgraded last year, to a 2010 f350 supercab, short bed, srw. shes got only 26k miles on her. Same day I got a 8.5 fisher ss xtreme v. Both bought on my birthday in January 2012. Great birthday, haven't plowed with it yet though, which blows.
    Anyway, I am throwing a snowex salter in her this year and am wondering what the pros have to say. After much consideration, I am leaning towards a 7500. Some of the guys on here are saying they have 250s with the 8500. I am not one to risk my life, or possibly risk down time due to a blown spring. Timbrens are great, I had em in my other rig, just not into pushing the limits of my truck these days.

Either way, say I throw a 7500 in her, and I sometimes mound it up to hold 2 full yards of salt in a lot or private road. Also while doing this I have the fisher plow on.
    Finally my question: Does anybody recommend upgrading the front or rear suspension, or both? My buddy with a 01 f350 drw upgraded to a 450 or 550 suspension in the back when he swapped to a flatbed, but he hauls equipment all year and runs a larger salter and larger plow.

Thanks in advance.

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

You are fine with stock. But if you want the rear to not sag so much, just get timbrens or air bags. I would say air bags, as they are about the same price.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not a problem load it up and go.

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I would upgrade simply to keep the suspension lasting longer. 300 now could save you a grand or two later. I have read that leveling your truck will give you more control. only read. dont know for myself

5. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

You guys think the airbags or timbrens would be a wise choice? I know where to find the timbrens, napa by me has em at a good price.

Anybody have a link to a "good to go kit" airbag setup?
    What about add a leaf setups? Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Also, what upgrade might there be available for the front end? Should I do timbrens or airbags up front as well? Anything else?

With timbren or airbags, can I do an 8500 and still be comfortable? Smooth enough ride and weight distribution, etc..?

6. birddseedd

The main factor is in price. but its hard to chose sometimes. different uses are good on different types. air bags are the best option sicne you can take the pressure out and get your smooth ride back. and very easy install. if you google airbags and yoru truck model youll find lots. air lift is the most popular brand. tho my shop guy told me air lift are jsut re branded firestone.

healper springs would probably be my second choice

7. SullivanSeptic

You can get air bags for under $200. Its a no brainer. Very easy install with hand tools. Go with the three main companies, firestone, air lift/ride or hellwig. I have them on both of my chevy trucks. Works wonders. You dont need anything in front. Ur truck can easily handle the plow

8. birddseedd

where do you get yours?

9. SullivanSeptic

I gotta look it up. I may have paid just under $300. I sometimes talk before u think. I buy online. I usually just search around for best price

10. birddseedd

280 is about what i found. really is a great way to go tho. soft ride when you want it. takes seconds to beef it up stiff as a dump truck.

11. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Thanks guys, I am leaning towards the airbags. Thanks for the recommendations on brands.
    Probably not necessary to have an on board compressor, or air pump I would imagine. What do you guys think? I saw kits with em and with out em. I dont go that far from the house. I can always stop by shop to adjust em . Anybody ever wish they had an on board setup for any real reason in the field??

12. birddseedd

air bags are a great choice. the compressor kit is not neccessary. its for convienience. you can drive to drop off a big load. then drop the air pressure real easy. get your soft ride back.

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have the Firestone bags on the back of both my chevy 2500. Load the truck with 3000lb of salt and keeps the truck level and the ride is nice. Easy to install and I paid anywhere from 240 to 260 for the sets. Ran to rear bumper and can inflate with a bike pump. When not hauling I put them down to 10psi.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Go with Firestone Bags their mounting hardware/brackets are much heavier than the others, if you go with a compressor go with Air lift. IMO its a better unit. small quiet and easy to install. Good like finding a place under the hood to mount the compressor.

15. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Thanks fellas. I am def going to go with the firestone airbags in the rear. Anybody ever do airbags up front? I may just go with some timbrens in the front, however the ability to adhust em is appealing.

16. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

PS, here is a link to some kits, which one do you guys recommend?

TRUCKSPRINGS.com

There are 2 or 3 firestone sets on there.

17. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

18. birddseedd

i thought we were talking about the front....

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Again Bags is what I'd recommend.