1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing Subs with a bob cat skid????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alwayz-plowin, Jul 25, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

HAs anyone ever plowed a sub with a bob cat???

I was thinkin about getting one for this reason (snow and Landscaping stuff!) ... in addition to our trucks
    Because i really like the fact that a bob cat can pile snow a lot higher than a truck can.
    (this comes in handy when we get 6'' 3 nights in a row!)
    Do they have enough power to push like a truck or is it over kill
    also in a storm or after one am i allowed to take it down a mile to another sub??
    Because my parents live in this sub and i happen to plow their sub and 2 other ones close by within a mile or two
    I would deck it out with LED's too

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I Plow a subdivision with My S300 and our f-350. They work great together. The skid can push just as hard as the truck. We windrow the snow to the edge of the road, then take the skid and clean out the driveways and in front of the mail boxes. We stack as much as possible in the culdisacks but a lot is piled in between driveways. I don't drive mine to much, I tow when ever possible but i see a ton of guys driving them 2-3 miles between sights. Some of them only have a single speed skid to lol.
    Robert

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I would rather have skids than trucks. Skids are designed to push and lift. Trucks are not. I have ran skid steers on all of my subdivisions for years. They get driven from site to site every storm, about three miles total.

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

would be best to see what the law is in you area

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

they work well, but you really should get a nice trip edge plow for them or 8-10ft trip edge box, kage box plow setup or artic sectional plow..

Yeah they ahve enough power, think your running full throttle and only doing 10-12mph max.. make sure you get at least a 60hp model though so you can run two speed and arnt limited to a crawl. Cab models are sweet, but your going to have a huge payment monthly to afford one from any company like the top few.

for reference.

JD 332D "largest wheel model" will run over 50k new
    Bobcat was cheaper but 45k+ easy
    CAT 272C "also largest for cat", will run over 55k new easy

Smaller models will save you a few bucks, but expect to pay a bare minimum for any smaller model of 42k~ plus tax, and then you need insurance coverage on it just like a car... we pay about $900 per year for our JD 319D to sit in the damn garage 99% of the year, but that covers anything that could possibly happen to it.