1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing subdivision courts (cul-de-sac's)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow Dude, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

This is my second year plowing and things are going great. I have a couple subdivision contracts and when it comes to plowing the courts I don't know if I have the right technique. I go clockwise with the blade turned to the left and keep pushing the snow away from the court. It takes about 5 passes and looks great when I'm done, but residents complain that all the snow ends up at the bottom of their driveway. Is this the right way, no one ever showed my how to plow, I'm just learning on my own.
  2. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

Sounds like your doing fine.
    I live on a court and do it the same way, well, counterclockwise.
    People always complain about there driveways.
    Since I live on this court I do the drives for the four other homes.
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you could try stacking the snow on either side of thier driveways. but then they would complain about that too.
  4. FF279

FF279 Banned

Try pushing the snow in towards the court.
  5. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Try backing into the drives and pushing the snow out of the cul-de-sac back into the street leading up to it then push that snow to the sides just like you would when you are plowing streets. I do this sometimes when there are enough drives around the cul-de-sac to work from.
  6. SnowyPennsylvan

SnowyPennsylvan Junior Member

My street ends in a culdesac. Four driveways are located on it, with the direct center of the circle being just the land between two properties. The township plows just push all the snow up against the open space straight ahead. Generally, they stary on the right going counterclockwise until they get to the center, then they usually do it just like you'd do most parking lots. Straight blad over about 3/4 of the snow, pushing it into the pile...
  7. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

Thanks for everyone's help.
  8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've done a complex a couple of times for the Association. Depending on the size of the court, and the amount of houses on it, I try to put the snow in the middle of the court. That way no ones driveway is blocked, they can park in front of the houses, and everyone can get out of their drives.
  9. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

About 60% of our business is HOA's. Everyone of them has cul-de-sacs in them. We push most of the snow out of the court area and the rest goes to the most open area in the court. I will say some courts are smaller and have less area to put the snow,,,,but you have to stack it somewhere. Just wait until you get some back 2 back snows and you have to push it up in their yards, wow....some get really pissed & others could care less because they can get out of their driveways. For the most part they wave & are glad too see us there moving the snow.

TIP: Look for those that have younger kids, they love BIG snow piles to sled on.
  10. ajaynejr

ajaynejr Junior Member

Then the snow ends up in the yards of the people living along the street and also makes it much more difficult to clear the sidewalks..

Better to put the cul de sac snow in the yards of the people living at the cul de sac.

But don't scrape the snow off the fronts of the piles and into people's driveways.
  11. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

you will never make everyone happy. the person i try to please is the person who hired me and is paying me! talk to him, express your concerns and just make sure he is on the same page as you. i do 3 private roads with cu-de-sacs. one is larger and goes from driveway to mailbox, to basketball pole, to large bushes, to driveway.....and so on. there is virtually no place to put it. we typically dont get much snow, but after multiple 12" storms and a 28" storm, there is no place left. i had a talk with a few of them about their 4 mailboxes since they complainded the mailman couldnt get to them. i told them they need to put all 4 next to eachother to help make more room and they instantly agreed and were happy. people dont think about these things so simply open their eyes....the snow has to go somewhere
  12. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I do a few with islands in the middle an are tough to go around in my crew cab I just push out all towards the yards. Its no different then if you live on a straight road the city plows make berms at the end of the drive. People are going to get snow at the end of their drives.