1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Stress During The Storm?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DESTEFANO3782, Jan 1, 2007.

1. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

How Many Guys Out There Get Stressed Out During The Storm On Commercial Properties Because They Feel Like Somebodies Allways Watching And They Are Slamming You Left And Right Even Though Your On Top Of The Game? On The Other Hand How Many Of You Just Say Screw Everyone This Is My Job And Well Get It Done When It Gets Done, We Have Been Here Working Constantly.
    For Some Reason I Always Stress During Storms Even Though We Cant Control Mother Nature..
  2. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

yeah i had a large snow contract for a shopping center and the maintenance guy kept giving me a hard time. the next season he under bid me. so that year we had little snow. all he had for rigging was a 83 f150 with a 7.5 fisher. well sure enough he got a real storm with 2 ft of heavy stuff. he blew the motor in his truck and quit. needless to say i have had that contract no questions asked for 3 years now. That guy didn't even loose his job with them. that's what drives me crazy. i always have stress plowing commercial because your competition is always watching you wanting to undercut your prices. i hate management that give snow contracts to rookie with no riggin:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  3. DESTEFANO3782

What Was He Thinking??? A Strip Mall And One Truck.. Some People Are Out There.
  4. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Yes he was dumb, but dumber was the idiots who hired him!!!!!!! When will they learn you get what you pay for.
  5. DESTEFANO3782

The Bottom Line Counts Only Until A Blizzard Hits Then Who Knows What Really Shows
  6. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Thats where I feel I am

I bid a new shopping center here this year. The property manager calls me and says my price is 60.00 high for the loader, I reply how do you figure that ?The other guy is 60.00 lower. My reply was that he was 60.00 low and told him not to lose my card he would need it the first storm of any size..

Ray Grimes
  7. DESTEFANO3782

Where Did U Come In At If U Were 60 Higher??
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I take care of a couple Midas shops, and as people in auto service probably know workers can come and go with relative frequency. Such had been the case with these couple shops I have done for 10 years. A new store manager comes in each year primarily because the people put in these positions kept getting fired. Anywho, shops open at 8:00, so I get the first one cleaned out by 6:50 and over to the second one by 7:10. Manager pulls in and parks where I was pushing snow. I asked if he'd be able to park where I had already plowed, and his response was something to the effect "The lot should have been done by now!" Mind you, he's not my boss; HIS boss is my "boss" per se. So I give my boss a quick call & give him the skinny, and things are nothing but smooth from then on

The other store a couple years earlier, new manager is in the shop when I'm plowing. He comes out and I ask if a couple of the customer cars could be moved (this is after hours). He said 1 was dead and the other he didn't have keys for. Maybe a mistake on my part, but my response was, "You have cars on your lot you don't have keys for?" to which he responded, "what business is it of yours what cars I have keys for?" Ok, again I didn't respond to him, but I chatted with my corporate contact about the situation (both the difficult manager AND cars parked in the way). Everything worked out since!
  9. mojob

mojob Member

I'm new to this plowing biz, but is it me, or do people's IQs drop the closer they get to your truck while you're plowing? I do a pretty big apartment complex that's really tight. There's no place to put snow as it is and people will try to park right where you're stacking it. It's like, "Oh look, the plow guy just cleared this spot just for me." Or they'll pull right in behind you even though they could have gone the other way to get to their building(big circular parking lot). It's stupid people that get me stressed out. This is the last apartment complex I bid on. I want some wide open stuff.