1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing steep drive ways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Playboy, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Would a steep drive way be harder to plow? Do the trucks make it up easy? I would assume you have to reverse up the hill then plow down but at the end of the drive way might be tuff due to the incline of the drive way entering the road? Due many damage plows on steep drive ways?

2. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

drives

It sometimes is harder on steep drives. Good practice would be to get to those drives first in a storm. Light fluffy snow can be easier to get traction in. If you wait too long and the temps change up and down you could deal with a sheet of ice. Or, if cars go up and down the drive, your tires are going to sit on their tracks and you'll be on an ice-hill.

No, it won't damage the plows if you keep your truck on the driveway and don't run into things!

3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

So while plowing down hill, will the force of the snow being thrown to one side push the truck to the other side a bit making it hard to stay in line?

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The important thing to remember when plowing downhill steep grades. Make sure you are clean to the ground/pavement because if not you will push just enough in front that you can't go ahead anyfurther and you can't back up.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To add a little to Bolt's and plowman350's advise; When you're plowing downhill, plan which way you're going to angle so you won't have to switch sides part way down. You'll be more liable to get a blade full of snow and be unable to go forward or back up. If you absolutely have to switch sides, make sure you going at a good pace, angle as fast as possible and don't stop or slow the angle until it's done. Be prepared for the truck to start pulling to the other side. But, I'm used to pushing 8" to 12". Best way is to push every 3-6".

Whatever you do, don't raise the blade thinking you'll lighten the load and ride up on top of the snow. :eek:

6. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Thanks guys. I'm just getting the butterflies in the stomach from going into this with no expierience at all. Good thing I have a decent 100ft drive way w/turn around to practice on.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Does your driveway have any incline at all to practice with?I think maybe you're being a little over-anxious. Happens to everybody just before the season starts. "What if I have a breakdown?" "What if I over-sleep?" "What if I can't get everybody done when I said I would" "What if I get stuck?" About January, this'll be "old hat" and by March you'll be sick of snow - "When can I start mowing?"