1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing steep asphalt drivways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pinzgauer, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I'm curious how some of you plow steep asphalt driveways with no place to turn around on top. Without every push turning into a controlled crash. I typically back up the hill and plow down since I rather slide going forward then backwards.
    How do you guys plow steep driveways with no turnaround?
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Just giver all the way to the top, then swing off just before the garage door and push it up onto the lawn, backdrag away from the door 6' and then push that to the side onto the lawn, slowly back down the drive and continue on... easy money payup
  3. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

Price high and use your rearview mirrors. I plow up to the top and back down with enough speed to keep traction rather than riding the breaks and the front end breaking loose. Usually even tougher to back up with the rear wheels doing the plowing.
  4. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Typically you dont. We have a bunch that are considered unplowable and many have tried. We have a fleet of blowers that take care of these. They pay accordingly, but they dont take much longer than if they were actually plowable. We do have a few control crash driveways and they scare everyone that tries. Too big to blow for a reasonable fee. Basically you have one shot at getting up or you will be off the pavement. Momentum is your friend on the way up, and good driving on the way down. I like them flat and straight, but that's not too common around here.
  5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

With a rear mounted snow plow. Dig it out and work your way up the drive and charge accordingly.
  6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I bid really high and hope i dont get the job... its not worth the trouble to me. The ones i did end up getting i would put a good amount of salt down right when it started to snow and that would leave me with better traction