1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by butchandcody, Sep 23, 2009.

1. butchandcody

butchandcody Junior Member

What are you guys using for plowing stakes 2x2 oak or the floruscent ones ????

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I buy the 1x2x8, cut them in half get to stakes from one piece.

3. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I use 2X2 spruce. I don't think I could afford to use oak to use as markers.

4. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't use any.

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I buy 1" X 3" X 8' furring strips in bundles of 12 or 16, then cut them in half on an angle with a chainsaw. Usually buy 1500 - 2000 eight footers per season, makes 3000 - 4000 stakes.

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Same here- looks much nicer IMO than spray paint on wooden sticks- since I do all resi's, appearance is everything...

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I guess you ford guys don't need no stinkin' markers lol- quality at its finest - springtime client "ummm sir, you plowed across my front lawn the entire winter, my driveway never got cleared" , grandview "I know, I don't use any sticks."

j/k lol:rolleyes:

9. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I get mine from Angelos. You can run them over and plow over them and they still dont break. and It's about $0.20/stake when you cut them in half like I do. (Wear a mask! Nasty dust..)

I know I know.. I'm not supposed to hit the stakes.. I just like to make sure I get extra close.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

angelos, I wish I did not have to use them but my cotracts state I have to stake the property. I love catching kids taking them. I am like the old man yelling out his window at a house party next door. Scare the 5h17 out of them.

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Poly stakes from J-Thomas. Not the cheapest in the world, but they look nice and last forever. They go in easy too with my custom made installer, no pounding like with wood stakes, they just push in.

12. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Who needs 'em?
    You just keep plowing closer and closer until you see grass flying over the plow.
    Then, you stop plowing closer.

I tell my customers to purchase their own at wally world if they want them.

13. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

We get them from www.lowcostmarkers.com however im checking out angelo's now. lowcostmarkers.com also has the clip on flags, GREAT for letting everone know who did the great job on the job

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

After plowing the same lots for so many years I know where every bump and pothole and blade of grass is!wesport

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I don't use them either.
    A good driver knows when he is tearing up grass......lol
    Like GV....I know where stuff is on my accounts.

16. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I mean most of them I can do with my eyes close, but corporate says they wants stakes, you give them stakes. All you do is charge em for them and it not a problem...

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't use them. Anymore. My first season "big time" I made a couple hundred. Ran half of them over the first storm. My buddy told me I would. They are good to have here and there, mostly for curbs in the middle of no where, and the snow tends to drift there. It's a little more fun without them. If you feel the front of the truck drop half a foot, that's the edge of the ditch. If it drops two feet, that's the bottom of the ditch.

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We use stakes and they double as advertising.

100_0325.jpg

kid stuff 066.jpg

kid stuff 065.jpg

kid stuff 063.jpg

19. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice... you've got a few bucks invested there. ;)

And I thought I spent alot on stakes!

20. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Wow. Those must've cost a pretty penny.
    I am sure the return is pretty beneficial.
    Is the first picture of you guys collecting them at the end of the season?